Author Topic: I'm moving... are you KIDDING me?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm moving... are you KIDDING me?
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
I spent the last two days packing the bow shop and I think I've only made it worse. How did I accumulate so much in such a short time? Tools? Wood? Hunting stuff? Holy crap! I may need an intervention.

I'm only keeping the best of the best... and once again... the fire is raging. I don't like burning bow wood, even borderline stuff, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Noticed the 'new house' has a nice ash tree in the back yard. I'll be cuttin that sucker asap... before the borers get in it :^)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm moving... are you KIDDING me?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Packed up a promised osage selfbow today amidst the kaos. Several bows ready to be finsihed... keeping them accessable... trying to keep the 'transition period' short... don't want to have bowmakin' withdrawls  :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Best of luck, Jeff.. New place have a shop?

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Yep, wouldn't have bought it if it didn't. Needs a little work though... but don't they all? Aint never seen a house for sale with a bow shop to suit me as-is  :^) Gonna be dashizznet when I'm done with it tho.

It's about 15 min north of my current place.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
I have some large planks of self milled lumber that I have moved to 4 different states. I feel your "pain" man...    :)  
Have fun setting up the new shop

Offline Iron Eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
I got all kinds of wood and tools also. Dread if I ever move. Even super junky wood I hold onto, no idea why. Maybe one day when I get better I'll use it lol. I agree with you on that ash let the saw dust fly    ;)

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:09:00 AM »
I will have to make a move in next couple of year to 'down size' as there is only wife and I at home now, and our present house is too big.Moved 6 times in last 20 or so years and am so over it all, dreading having to do it all again.Just one look at my 'workshop' come junk pile is enough to give me shivers.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
I know you pain guys. I may be moving come fall and am not looking forward to the idea. Good luck to all who are going through this.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
Well, the shop is as 'packed up' as it's going to get. What fun  :(

I started packing the garage today. 8 hours of packing and barely made a dent.

The worst part is, who knows when i'll make my next bow. I'll be busy with house stuff for a while, probably be at least a few months before I get the bow shop together.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
We've been thinking of moving as well. I need a bigger shop and we need a house with more accessibility for my parents who are having a hard time with the stairs.
Among my stuff are about 500 books that will need to be packed and some shop machines, one of which weighs close to half a ton. I'm going to see about bringing in a forklift to load the big stuff. I did that before and I saved a lot of work.
Not fun to contemplate, but I'm excited about going back out into the country.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Remarkable how so many of us seem to have same experience! Part of my reason for having to move is our house is 2 story and us siblings share out tending for our 91 year old mother  with each having her at our house for a given time. Bit hard asking a 91 year old to get up and down our stairs a lot.Also like woodcarver says some of my gear also weighs a lot and I have been amassing a lot of timber in semi log form.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 06:12:00 AM »
Many of the concerns you guys have, I have as well, and they went into deciding on this house. Less yard to take of. No pool. Virtually no leaves to deal with in bow season. While my 'new house' will have a small upper level, I won't have to go up there much, or at all when I get older. Master bedroom and bathrooms are on the ground level, 1st floor laundry, etc. and it's got an 'in law suite' with seperate provisions so that if one of our mothers needs to come stay with us, we have the room.

I'm kind of excited about setting up a new bow shop from scratch. If anyone has any unique ideas thst work especially well, I'd be interested to hear/see them. A vice mounted on a pipe in the middle of the room for instance.

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
Good luck n have fun with all that Jeff....we moved a few years ago,and I understand moving all the bow stuff...I was back and up n running shaving wood within a few weeks after...it sucked not being able to work on bows...I NEVER wanna move again...did a lot of moving in my life n I hope to stay where I'm at for a looooong time.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
When I die I'll let my daughter deal with all my crap. d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
I'd never mount a vice on a pipe in the middle of the shop..  :)

I'm all done with the shop, house, etc. When I die, someone else can have it...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©