Author Topic: Red Sassafras  (Read 291 times)

Offline Iron Eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Red Sassafras
« on: May 03, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
So I went out to cut some black locust today. Found one I cut it, then started removing the bark to find out it was riddled with bugs. So I went back for round two. All the BL seems to grow near white pines and on the steepest hill in my woods and in groups. So I found another (at least thats what I thought) and cut it down. Started removing the bark and I said to myself something aint right. Then the smell hit me. The bark and the wood are very similar to BL, very thin 4-5 sap rings and the rest heartwood. I rushed in got TBB Vol.4 and read about it. States the following-  .46SG, Tension weak wood , 1.5" width 74" long were some measurements given. They also stated the sassafras they seen was all thin ringed. Mine on the other hand has thick rings and is very clean. Has anyone ever used this before. I was thinking about trying a 68" long 2" at the fades to 1/2" tips for 27.5" draw. It will be some time of course before I can use it. So thoughts or comments on this wood and my dimensions. O yea I also learned what is and what is not BL    :biglaugh:

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Red Sassafras
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
I grew up around Sassafras.  As a kid, I made a Sass self bow (stick with string).  It's lovely to work and oh so nice smelling.  I've built wonderful musical instruments from it.  But as a self bow... I'd pass.  Maybe if it were backed with hickory or locust or Ipe.  I'd love to use it in a wood-glass composite, with clear glass over the Sassafras...
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Iron Eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Yea I expecting that answer lol. I am at least going to try and make one and see the results. If it dosent go to well I'll save the rest of it for another project. Maybe like you said for a glass bow lam.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
Sassafras was the favorite bow wood of Maurice Thompson, author of The Witchery Of Archery, as he plume hunted in Georgia and Florida. I made a few sassafras bows in my early bow building days but not recently.
 I did cut a large sassafras tree a few years ago for bow wood. The tree was 12" to 15" in diameter, straight, limbless and tall enough to cut 3, 7' logs. I began to split one log only to find a 90 degree twist in 7'. No bows were attempted with this wood but I did get a nice split rail fence.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Iron Eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
You just gave me a lot more hope for the wood Pat.
My log is 9-10" 7'long and almost perfect just one little knot and very straight. I'm guessing take the sap wood off since its so thin 4-5 rings is it.
Heartwood is nice and thick ringed. Once made I'll post pics of it, if its still in one piece.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©