Author Topic: sanding stuff----  (Read 343 times)

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
sanding stuff----
« on: May 04, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
lets face it glass or wood most of it is grinding and sanding!!
what are you guys using??everybody has tricks/rigs and jigs!!lets see them!
here's some of my favorites- homemade sanding blocks--you can put on any grit you want and can use forwards and back

I've recently discovered these rubber doodads and the bigger ones are excellent for the last fine sanding on limb edges

this block is growing on me too--

the random orbital is a big time saver--but the right-angle drill with a flexible pad in it is killer for hogging off material and a lot more controllable than a 4"angle grinder--

we all have our own ways to get stuff done lets see them!!
Mike

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sanding stuff----
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
Looks like you have 'er covered.  Nothing to post as of yet, sorry. I use my small Makita finish sander for most stuff. Don't have room so I use an 8" disk that I made and chuck into the drill. For flat sanding I use a small block of oak with sandpaper wrapped around it.

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Different sanding drums chucked up in the drill press for roughing handles and such.Belt sander for limb profiling. Mostly just wood blocks and paper for everything else. Like the handles you made though! Gives me an idea.....

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
12'' Disc sander for squaring blocks etc, spindle sander for fades curves etc, and a 2' long block with 40 grit attached for trueing limb edges, and just lots of hand sanding. Must say I like those rubber blocks Bamboo.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
Upside down belt sander for limb profiling.  Palm sander and sanding blocks of various sizes and shapes for edges, nocks, and fiddly bits.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
My shop belt sander gets a good workout for handles and rouging out the bow and even shaping the nocks. It has a 40 grit on it.
For finish I use sandpaper 60, 100, 220, 300 (sometimes), 400, and 600 grit.
Jawge

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
try this for overlays--with your thumb hold the strip where you need material feathered and draw the strip --it really feathers /blends the overlays

the taped strips are good and sturdy--even sturdier with fiber strapping tape--and great for using "shoe-shine" style when rounding tips and risers--
Mike

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
here's another--

dog bone--

I hold with one hand--sand and shape with the other--its 1-1/2" softwood stock clamped in a pole vice--real handy!!
Mike

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
That's why I love this site! Great idea Bamboo, be making one come Monday after I get back from another trad shoot couple hours from my place.Weather gods say cold and wet; joy of joys!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©