Author Topic: Board bow build alongs! (Hopefully)  (Read 614 times)

Offline Regular Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Board bow build alongs! (Hopefully)
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Good point John! I've got a nice long rope for my tiller tree and pulley system  :)  takefive, where from in WI? I lived and worked in Madison for about five years and moved back to MN bout a year and a half ago.
INDUAMUR ARMA LUCIS

Offline bubby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
I've made a lot of these type of tips on board bows, my only concern is the shortness of your glueing area, I like atleast 5" glued down, I've only had one tip come off, when I found it I acetoned it and reglued and it's still there on a 60" 70#bow

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 02:06:00 AM »
Hi Paul-
I grew up in Milwaukee but have lived in Neenah the past 20+ years.  I'm about 35 miles south of Green Bay.
I had friends who went to UW-Madison way back in the day.  Saw Neil Young at the Dane Co. Coliseum in '78.  Man, I'm getting old.   :eek:  
-Greg
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
Did you put a metal strap on the belly of the bow as you bent the curve to keep a splinter from lifting?

Offline bubby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
white woods just bend better with steam, I use steam on osage when I do statics

Offline Regular Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
So where was I?  I glued the tip extensions on and cleaned up the lines and I've since started tillering.  To answer some questions, no, I didn't use a metal strap...I know, shame on me.  I also know one of my other problems with the bending (aside from using dry heat, it seems) was not adding clamps as it was bending so it distributed the load.  In any case, I'm gonna put the crazy bends aside for a while.  I'll come back to them later.  

I'm posting a couple pics just to let you guys see where I'm at with tillering.  I'm using a 1/8" thick piece of iron with a sharp, square edge as a scraper instead of the surform I used the first time and it's working really slick but man is it taking a long time to get any weight off the bow. I put in an hour and a half tonight and scraped probably 6 times and only gained about 2" of draw length when pulling just shy of my target of 50lbs.

I found a small hinge about 8" inches from the tip on the left side with my tiller tool, right in line with the drywall seam.  I think the seam actually makes it look worse than it is but it's definitely there so i'm leaving it alone.  And is the right limb stiff or is it ok?  I can't tell and I feel like the light is playing tricks on me.  I've been focusing most of my work on the inner 2/3 of each limb because the inner limbs seem awfully stiff.  If I don't hear much from anyone I'll probably just stay the course I'm on and keep working those inner limbs some more.

Thanks for playing along and for any input you have!
INDUAMUR ARMA LUCIS

Offline Regular Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
So a year and a half later I'm back. I just moved and have a basement shop that I can work in year round. Needless to say I've put some time in again. Finally.

I know this thread is super old but need trained eyes. I just low-braced after getting about 7" of tip movement. The really stiff right limb didn't show up on the short string so I'm glad I braced it.

Does anyone notice anything else needing attention off hand? Eyeballing and using the gizmo I feel like the left limb is looking decent. Just need to play catchup with the right.

Oh, and I know the two pieces of peg board don't line up. I didn't install them. Figured out they were uneven after tillering for a while...

Thanks for any input you might have. More to come...
INDUAMUR ARMA LUCIS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©