Author Topic: a question for Ridgid users  (Read 297 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
a question for Ridgid users
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
Guess that topic name is a bit strange.  

am in the process of setting up my new ridgid spindle sander hoping to create a Lam grinder.  But, the spindle seems to have a tiny bit of wobble in it.  Not much, maybe 1/32 or 3/64.  Is this normal, and if so how does it effect the lam grinding process?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a question for Ridgid users
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
There are a couple of posts on here and other sites where people have used the belt part of the Rigid belt/spindle combo sander as lam grinders. That might prove to be more stable. I'm not sure if you have the combo one or not, but here is a link to one of them.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002518
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
That's a good bit of variance. I no longer use spindle sanders because the bearings kept going out of the dang things... and as the bearings wear, the wobble/deflection will get worse.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
I did remove the rubber sleeve and checked the metal spindle itself and it seems pretty straight.  Mostly in the rubber sleeve.

Not sure how the lam grinder is going to turn out, but it sure beats using the drum on my drill press!
Monterey

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
I have that sander and love it (right now at least) mine is tight so maybe u just got a bad rubbers sleeve did yours come with 4 different sizes and if so do they all wobble?
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
Came with four but I've only tried the 2" so far.  First day up with it and spent some time shaping a sorta plains indian bow from an oak board for the grand sons school project.

Lesken, I saw that and is going to be one of the plans incorporated into my own.
Monterey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©