Author Topic: 64 inch rd question  (Read 282 times)

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
64 inch rd question
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
I'm going to be starting my first laminated bow soon and I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer.
 The bow will be a Bingham's 64 rd. Is it 64 from noc to noc, or overall length?
 My second question is. Has anyone put rubber or cork on the bottom of the form? Was wondering if this would cause any complications?
 I'm using the rubber band method, wrapping the bands over rubber faced aluminum pressure strips.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 64 inch rd question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
I just use an open form, but others use that type of form, I'm sure they'll chime in and let ya know whats what.
Where 'bouts in Canuckanuck ya from.?

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
64" ntn. I've used rubber on the bottom of a form before with out complications.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
Rubber is fine, but not necessary if you have a good straight (smooth) form.
BigJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
wolftrail. Im about 80km north of Toronto.
 Pulled the bow out of the form today, and it looks great. I cut the nocs at 64 inches. I strung it but im a little hesitant about pulling it back. Maybe its because its my first glass longbow. The tiller is pretty much perfect. The string groves I cut are their just so I can string it and pull it back when I get the nerve, im afraid the string may pop off. I think ill wait until I have the tip overlays on before I pull it to 28 inches... pretty sure it wont pop off when they are on. Its like im looking at a ticking time bomb when its sitting their. my fears are probably for nothing, the glue lines look great and I probably used enough glue for three bows. But better to much than not enough I guess.
 Anyone else get the jitters I am getting with a new build?
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
breazyears, you can put temporary overlays on if you'd like.  I just did on my first one a couple of days ago.  I had some pieces of phenolic and taped them on with black plastic tape wrapped real tight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©