Author Topic: Any tricks to getting over the fear of the "break-up"  (Read 794 times)

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any tricks to getting over the fear of the "break-up"
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
This bow had at least 1000 shots through it when it went kerblooy! It was osage backed with deer rawhide and decorative tissue paper covering. This is one of the few bows I've had blow up. I have made many badly bent bows over the years but very few broke.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
So Pat, after 1000 shots would you say that the limbs just wore out or was there another reason for the failure?

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
Hmmm...Guess you can never say never when it comes to bows.  I've heard that even the name brand glass ones break sometimes.  Gonna pick up some safety goggles this week.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
It was slightly over drawn, Mike. An old archery adage..."a bow fully drawn is 9/10ths broken".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
It was slightly over drawn, Mike. An old archery adage..."a bow fully drawn is 9/10ths broken".
Gotcha.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
This bow had at least 1000 shots through it when it went kerblooy! It was osage backed with deer rawhide and decorative tissue paper covering. This is one of the few bows I've had blow up. I have made many badly bent bows over the years but very few broke.
[/URL]
Crazy stuff for sure, when I break a bow now I just walk away without a pout or even a long face. I broke 2 today. No pics, I know exactly what went wrong.  When you don't feel good you do very stupid things, you simply don't think.        :banghead:  
The one bow was tillered really good except for one spot, the inner tip section of the top limb, it was to stiff and I over pulled it on the Tiller stick, she went kerblooy...   :laughing:    Ya gota have a sense of Haha doing this stuff or you will kill yourself trying.

Oh well. See how the next one turns out which will be soon......   :cool:

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
Glass didn't help this bow that Soy built for the bow trade.
  http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/thadsoy/IMG_20140510_243441_285.jpg  
Thanks pat   :thumbsup:     :banghead:    :laughing:

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Had a 48" kids bow I made for my little girl blow after numerous shots. To make it worst she was in front of all the kids at our church archery night. Thank God she didn't get hurt. I have since switched to 'glass bow making and so far have had no issues. I know they can and do break but most of mine are built in the 40-45# range so no heavy weights. I only pull 27 inches and always make sure they draw to at least 28". Maybe try a glass bow and then go back to all wood. I have no doubt I can and will make some more all wood bows and have learned alot while making the glass ones. I miss the wood shavings. Maybe try some osage or hickory next try. Good luck and don't give up dude!  :thumbsup:

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
You get over it. It happens. That's why I use a rope and pulley s if it breaks it breaks across the cellar. LOL. Jawge

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
thanks guys
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©