Author Topic: Paint removal and refinish limbs. Help?  (Read 203 times)

Offline Calmb4tehPwn

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Paint removal and refinish limbs. Help?
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
Hey guys!

I've got a pretty special setup coming. At least, special to me. It's a bear takedown mag riser with two sets of Paul Schafer made limbs. Unfortunately, this was a hunting bow and the limbs are covered in paint. The riser is camo paint too, but I'm significantly less worried about that.

So I want to remove the paint without damaging the finish, or if that isn't an option, then suggestions on how to sand off the paint and refinish without damaging or weakening the glass.

And I would like to take some paint thinner to the mag riser and get it powder coated. Any suggestions on brand of.paint thinner or methods would be very welcome.

The bow lands Monday, and I would like to work on it as soon as I have it. Anything I need to pick up for this, I'd like to get now.

Thank you!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paint removal and refinish limbs. Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Before you use thinner you need to know what type of paint was used. If the guy you bought it from can tell you that it would be great. Depending on the type of paint it's probably not bonded that we'll to the glass anyway. A medium grit sandpaper should take it off fairly easy. Just go light and stop when. You hit glass. When you get the bulk off with paper then you may be able to wipe the rest off with acetone.

You can pretty much count on having to refinish the limbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©