Author Topic: Eric K tillering gizmo  (Read 275 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Eric K tillering gizmo
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Hey guys just finished reading some posts on Eric K's tillering gizmo, wondering if this gizmo can be used on glass bows or is it only good for wood bows? If so, obviously you can't scrape
a glass bow like a wood bow so do you just lightly sand where the pencil comes in contact with the limb? Want to build one before I try and tiller for the first time but not sure it will help?
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eric K tillering gizmo
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
Never heard of anyone using it on glass.

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
Well, ideally a glass bow would need very little tillering, mostly just making sure you've got a slight positive tiller and that the string tracks through center. If it comes out wrong, it is usually altered by changing the tapers and adding or changing powerlams and tip wedges. I guess you could sand the glass, though preferably you would get it bending how you want by changing the core, rather than the glass.  Kenny did a bow where he uniformly tapered the glass, and it turned out well, so maybe it's fine.

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
The tiller can be easily changed by SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY sanding the width of the limbs down. I have not had to do any tiller adjusting on going on 7 glass bows. I always hated that part. Go for it. Use the stack thickness to determine the draw weight and I usually go for the lighter side due to being able to always pike the limbs for more weight. I usually start out with at least a 66" longbow and go from there. Easy and fast weight changes. Have gone all the way down to a 62" for the weight I wanted. Just remember and use some type of respirator or at minimum a good dust mask. Fiberglass is nasty stuff on the skin and in the lungs. Read Troy Breeden post on here on what not protecting your lungs can do. Godspeed.

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
Didn't mean for it to sound like Troy did not use protection, I know he does. Just think how bad it could be if you DIDN'T use a mask!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
Just in case there are some newbies out there scratching their heads and saying "what the heck is a tillering gizmo", here you go;

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047#000000

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©