Author Topic: Ok to heat bend vine maple?  (Read 333 times)

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Ok to heat bend vine maple?
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Guys- I have a couple VM bows roughed out. I have done a search but came up empty, also I did not want to hi-jack the other "heat bend" thread...

Is it ok to heat bend vine maple (white wood)?
Also, When is the best time to heat bend? While it is roughed? Middle of tillering? At the very end?

I am new, and this my 1st attempt at making a bow. I have a couple PM's with MR. "Mark Baker" and were scheduled to talk on the phone. I am trying my best to copy the awesome VM bow he made... Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Offline Randy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ok to heat bend vine maple?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
Raghorn,
I don't have much experience with VM but I did heat bend the one stave that I have. I used the heat gun and clamped it down on a form. I had to heat it a couple times before it would stay but it seemed to work fine. I have not tried to steam wood so it will be interesting to see what others say on here. Good luck and post pictures.
Randy

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ok to heat bend vine maple?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Thank you Randy! I don't own a heat gun yet, so when and if I heat? I will do so by steaming... I have been taking pics along the way. When I get done with it, I will post a "newbie" self bow build along... It's been fun so far...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©