Author Topic: Fiberglass sparating from the wood on my Bear Super Kodiak  (Read 239 times)

Offline Treebeard62

• Trad Bowhunter
Fiberglass sparating from the wood on my Bear Super Kodiak
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Greetings Everyone,
I just received a one year old Bear Super Kodiak bow from a good dealer and it appears he overlooked a flaw in the curve near the lower tip. He offered to take it back but I wonder how hard it would be to fix. The fiberglass is separating from the wood over a 1 1/2" section of the belly side of the curve.  When the bow is drawn, the gap widens to about 1/8".  Clearly it needs to be fixed. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Denis

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fiberglass sparating from the wood on my Bear Super Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Should be under warranty- I'd go that route...

Offline Treebeard62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
Do you think Bear will honor a warranty for a bow I bought used? Its number implies it was made in February of 2013.  I'm considering returning it and stretching my bank account a couple hundred more dollars and buying a new Holm-made Goshawk longbow.It would have a stronger draw of about 50# instead of this Bear's 44# and would be 66"instead of 64". I'm still learning and have heard warning not to get too much draw. I'll call Bear and the shop to discuss.

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
Yeah, probably don't want to shoot that, I'd return it or see if it's under bear's warranty (which it probably isn't, but would still be worth looking in to).  Bear makes good bows, but I'd go with the holm if I had the choice.  Either one will be a lifelong shooter if you take care of it (and it doesn't have any flaws haha).  I'd say you're fine with a 50# bow, might take a week or so to strengthen the muscles, but definitely not an outrageous weight to pull so long as you've got healthy shoulders.

Online EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
If the dealer is good enough to take it back, then I would go that route.  

Two of my favorite bows right there - the Bear SK, and anything that Chad makes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©