Author Topic: Old Roybert  (Read 862 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Old Roybert
« on: June 06, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
So I thought I’d drop in on Old Roybert as I was driving through his neck of Pennsylvania on Tuesday – you know, see if he’s as cantankerous in person as he is online. I thought y’all would appreciate what I found out while there…

I pulled up to a neat little house with vinyl siding a bit after 6pm with a cold six pack. After giving up trying to find the front door and a doorbell, I eventually found a way in through the basement and worked my way upstairs where I met Roy’s wonderful wife. Best part of the visit right there! No idea how she puts up with him, I think she has hidden super powers that keep him check.

First, I was taken back a bit. You see, not only is there no front door to the house to find, but the inside of Roy’s house doesn’t match the outside. If you flip through some pictures he’s posted, you’ll see what I mean. The outside could fit into a suburban neighborhood while the inside is straight out of hunting lodge – complete with the old dog.

In exchange for the fresh, cold beers I brought, Roy shoved a plate full of rotten cabbage into my hands and told me to eat. I should have known he was trying to hurt me then and there – nothing like beer and cabbage to make for a long night!

Once satisfied I had consumed enough to start the irreversible chemical reaction, he suggested we walk down the pond. The walk down the hill is more treacherous than would imagine that old coot of being capable of handling. I kept having this weird feeling that I was going to get tripped from behind at any moment, even with Roybert in front of me.

At the pond he grinned like a Cheshire cat as he showed me how he could make just about anything disappear with his swarming school of ravenous fish that he stirred into a feeding frenzy for my benefit. I had no idea you could keep piranhas in Pennsylvania, but there you have it. And that was nothing compared to the scene out of Hitchcock's “The Birds” that came next. I was happy to get the hell out of there when he suggested we take cover in the bow shop.

In the shop I just about broke my neck trying to balance on the rickety old stool he pushed at me still smiling. He gave me some airborne samples of the dust that some people who visit his shop apparently find themselves highly allergic to while pulling old sticks off the wall to show me. The sneezing in that shop still haunts me days later. When he stepped out of the shop to go get a bow to show me, I tried switching stools with him. But the old fart was one step ahead of me there too – the second stool was just as deadly! How he could balance on that after drinking all those Coors Lights, I have no idea.

When he came back, he showed me a recent bow that he had made that didn’t make the cut. Something about how it could break at any moment. He had a devilish smirk on his face as he said I should take it with me so he wouldn’t have to look at it anymore. I explained that I already had enough firewood at my house, but that just made him angry. He threatened to cut the sucker in half right there and beat me with the pieces if I didn’t humor him. Imagine a more agitated version of Yosemite Sam and you'll understand what I was dealing with.

The hour was getting late anyhow, so I decided to just take the bow and try to make my exit. I told Roy I would pass it along to a deserving soul who needed such a bow and he lightened up a bit. What I didn’t realize was that he was anticipating the humor of a stranger trying to back up and around his driveway in the dark without needing a tow truck. I eventually got out, but not before the old gnome was rolling on the ground laughing at my troubles.

When my meetings ended the next day and I started the five hour drive home it hit me: the time bomb he put in my digestive tract. Turns out your mileage drops if you drive the whole way with your windows wide open.

Well Wednesday night I was home from my travels and started putting my stuff away. My youngest daughter came down and asked what the stick in my car was. When I explained it was a bow, she thought I was kidding. So I strung it up to show her. She eventually got past the bright yellow decoration on it, but she still thought I was pulling her leg. So we went down to the target butt to shoot a few shots with it and prove it to her. (Besides, I had to figure out what level of friend I was going to give this too.) I had the good sense after my revelations about Roybert to have her stand way back and we both wore safety glasses. But the old skunk still had one more laugh at my expense. You see, when I dropped the string on that first arrow, my left radius and ulna both buckled and three of my teeth were knocked clean out of my mouth by the hand shock. I'm still seeing spots and feeling a bit of nausea.

The bow is still lying where the EMTs left it. Heck, it's still in one piece which makes it the winner in our little duel. Luckily the fire pit is only a few feet away. It’s taken me since then type to this warning to y’all with only my right hand. Beware those who have made Roy’s thumpin’ list! He may look small and harmless, but he will surely have the last laugh!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Roybert
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
:biglaugh:     :biglaugh:
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Freaking hilarious. You made me laugh out loud at work!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
You are a brave, brave man, canopyboy.  Kudos to you for entering the lair of the beast and living to tell the tale.     :scared:

:campfire:
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
Lmao    :thumbsup:    I have to be more careful than you and still have to watch my back everywhere I go,cus he's just over an hour or so away from me...I had to install ADT because of meeting him    :biglaugh:

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
OK...honestly all of us who do know Roy personally knows he's just a big plush pink teddy bear with a sailors mouth    :biglaugh:    

Oh boy...this thread could get fun... I'm always down for a good Roy bashing    :deadhorse:  

Hey canopyboy....got any pics?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
Ya all shouldn't be picking on an old man on his birthday..  :)

Cantaloupe boy, was nice meeting you and the beer was cold... And that one bow you showed me was sweet...

But yer back on the list now son..  :)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Ya all shouldn't be picking on an old man on his birthday..   :)  

Cantaloupe boy, was nice meeting you and the beer was cold... And that one bow you showed me was sweet...

But yer back on the list now son..   :)  
Did I wait until your birthday to post my story? Dang. That's just seems downright mean.

:deadhorse:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Mean or not, it's the funniest thing I've read on here since Roy's story about "meeting" Kenny M at Walmart.

Happy Birthday and many more Roy!
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    I'm sitting here on site in my truck laughing my butt off while my guys are looking at me like I lost my mind!!!  That was a needed break to the stress !! Thx  Canopyboy!!
And I guess , thx Roy!? And happy BDay to Roy!!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
A hell..
I didn't know it was B-day Roy.

Happy Birthday!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
:laughing:     :laughing:    :laughing:  god that was good story telling!!

Happy B-day Roy!!!
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
Happy birthday on D day Roy!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline delongbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
Happy birthday Ol'Man!!!
Fuzz Nutz  :)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
an' i thought that when guys got to yer age they stopped counting... oh well- have a great day fella!  :thumbsup:

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
great story telling! Very descriptive   :bigsmyl:   got me my big laughs for the day.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Yer not cantaloupe boy any more..

From now on, yer melon balls..  :)

Offline Trapper Rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
It's always a good time at Roy's.
Happy Birthday you old fart.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Dave - That was great! Roy has tried his best to ruin my digestive track too with hot peppers and beer.

Happy Birtday Roy!  Gonna miss you at Marsh Hill tomorrow.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Ya John, I'm sitting here kicking my butt because I decided not to go this weekend... Dammit...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©