Author Topic: Shop Size for bow building?  (Read 580 times)

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
Shop Size for bow building?
« on: June 07, 2014, 04:04:00 AM »
I know bigger is always better, but what do you think a minimum size might be to build fiberglass bows? What size is your work space and is it working?

I previously used the basement, but we moved and now a three foot crawl space is not real conducive to bow building. No garage either, just a very tired shed for storage.

Thanks for your time.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shop Size for bow building?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
I started in the corner of our garage, a move and no garage.  I bought a 10x20 builtwel shed and though I would never need anymore room.  Wife and I added an additional 10x20 on and it is now filling up.  Really the now 20x20 seems to have enough room just need to use it wisely and keep it picked up.  Oh yes more is better for sure.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
My shop is 20X20 with lots of shelves and very cramped but working.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline delongbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
I'm working out of an 8x12 shed right now. It works for now, but all my storage (wood, glass, etc.) is in the garage attic.

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
Guess it depends on how equipped you are.
 The amount of tools, and equipment you have will dictate the size you need.
 I started woodworking in a single car garage. I found that I needed to have all my larger equipment on wheels so I could pull them out, and put them aside as needed. Getting as much stuff of the floor as possible and hanging it on walls, or on a shelf is also a must when working in a small area.
 As stated before bigger is always better, but to answer your question. you can certainly get it done in a area the size of a single car garage. Organization, and tidiness is key.
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Like stated it depends a lot on the equiptment you have.
I have about a 20 x 30  foot area in my machine shed and it is cramped. Drum sander, bandsaw, edge sander, small planer and a dust collector makes for a tight area. Add a drill press.
And wood stove. Add 3 work tables.
Since it's all hooked to the dust collector it's not movable.
Each piece has to be far enough apart to work on a long bow.

All that being said I don't work on fiberglass bows anymore but it's about the same.
If a dust collector is used where you move the hose to each station then movable equiptment would let you work in a much smaller area.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
head room is a great help too --if you are building a space--design it with 10'ceilings if possible
getting stuff off the floor is great advice and I've been using the closet shelves made of wire mesh -so the dust [and you'll have dust!!]doesn't collect --I built my hot box on the wall to save space-
you'll need heat!!--lots of power/lighting--dust collection[the more powerful the better!]a spray booth would be nice too
I could fill any space eventually but 20'x 30' would work nicely for hobby building--
Mike

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
I live aboard a 26ft sailboat.  My "shop" is a reinforced wooden shipping crate about 4x4x4 ft in my girlfriend's garage.  My rubberband style forms clamp to the top.  The interior is my 'toolchest'  I use a plastic covered folding 'church table' 30" wide x 6 ft long as my epoxy station.  No heatbox -- I live in Florida so the temp is nearly always above 70, and I'm not in any hurry to unmold a bow and start another one...
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
Just the kind of responses I was looking for. Thank you much!

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
You can make do with a pretty small area if that's what you have.  I know a few guys on here live in apartments and still manage to build bows.  I have a small area in my basement that works for me.  My table saw is job site sized so it's easy for me to move around.  When I make a tri-lam, I prep for the glue up on a cut down sheet of plywood on saw horses.  My hot box is scaled down too, just wide and deep enough for the form.  I make wooden bows, so most of my time is spent at my old B&D Workmate with the board or stave clamped to it.  Small shops are cozy.    :)
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
My shop is 16 by 16. If I only built bow in it, that would probably be enough. I make do though:)

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Depends on how well you have it organized. My shop is 12x24 and it does all I need. I build a bow every now and then as well as a few pieces of furniture. Work bench, large table saw, bandsaw, three drum sanders, spindle sander, router table, three different vac system and several other pieces.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
I suspect you could get by with very little.  I used to make glass bows partly on the balcone of my apartment, which was maybe 4ft x 8 ft.  I had a hot box in my living room, and I did my glue ups on the kitchen counter.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
I went from 72' x 62' my Ornamental shop to a
 12' x 20' at the house   :scared:  
everything (or some) needs to be on wheels
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
I have a 12 x 24 portable shed. I insulated walls and ceiling, screwed 7/16 OSB over insulation, painted interior white, added good floresent lights, window A/C unit, put up a interior wall to make a combo glue up and spray booth room with filters and exhaust fans. I built some workbenches and got a small dust collector. I have a band saw, belt sander, spindle sander and oven on wheels. No radios or clocks in my shop..

Online DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
No radio!  Crazy man. Just crazy. I need my friends marley, floyd, Jimmy, nirvana even ol hank and jr. Gotta have tunes. I build in the garage corner but I only make real bows. No fiberglass like roy.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
I think it all depends on how you plan to build your bows. What's your style? As Sam said, it's amazing what you can accomplish in tight quarters. I've seen his build alongs and I can tell you he makes a very nice bow!

If you are ordering glass and lams and just doing glue ups then you just need room for a form, oven, band saw (optional), and sanders (also optional). I've seen guys do all of the finish work (shelf if desired, handle and tip shaping, etc.) with nothing more than rasps and files and finishing with sand paper by hand. I have a 16 x 16 shop with only about 8 x 8 of working area and I make out just fine. I like to set up a folding table outside for grinding lams and running other power tools so I keep as much dust as possible out of the shop.

Bigger is always better when talking space, but remember that the bigger the shop, the bigger the mess and the harder it is to clean it when you get to where the dust is driving you nuts.

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Much appreciation to those that have posted. You have given me a great deal of hope.

I'm trying to come up with creative ways to what looks like will be a pretty small space to work. Maybe 14 X 20 at the most.

Wheels sound like a great idea and if I can roll equipment outside for some of the sawing and
sanding to keep as much fiberglass and wood dust outside sounds even better.

Thanks, again...Brett

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
I'm sure you could make it happen if you want it bad enough.

My shop is 20 x 40 and is very cramped. Constantly bumping in to things. I have a separate room for wood storage 20 x 30 with 12' ceilings and it is pretty much wall to wall and floor to ceiling  wood.

I would out grow anything I had as I am a machine and wood collector or seem to be.

bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
I would out grow anything I had as I am a machine and wood collector or seem to be.
I think this sums it up. Most of us have the mentality that will grow to fit the space and then just a little more.

You can make just about anything work. For glass bows with several pieces of machinery, something in the 300 sqft range would work nicely if you don't start to collect and can keep tidy. I have about 15x30 and really wish I had made it 20x30. Big tablesaw and jointer take up the middle of my shop, and most other stuff moves around. Works for bows, furniture, metal working, etc., but not as efficient as a larger space would be.

If you're building something, the suggestion for taller ceilings is huge! There's been more than one person to have flourescent tube glass shower down their back when standing an eight-foot sheet of plywood up on end in their shop.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©