Author Topic: Design input  (Read 285 times)

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Design input
« on: June 07, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
Just looking for some ideas on building a 3 piece. Picked up a great looking 1/4 sawn maple board today (excellent grain). 3 3/4" wide which I'll split down the center and maybe have 2 sets of limbs around 1 9/16" wide.
I have played around with 3 piece bows before. Not into doing the glass thing yet, so the limbs will be all wood 2 lams with reflexed tips and backing of some sort like linen or what ever.
Probably make a 16" straight forward riser. Length around 64"-66".
Input appreciated and how you guys would proceed building an all wood 3 piece.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Design input
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:06:00 AM »
you gotta talk to "little ben"

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 07:00:00 AM »
Ditto. His build a long is pretty detailed and he will bend over backwards to help you.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Yup, Little Ben's your man for that type of bow.  Here's one of his build alongs:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=010908;p=1
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by takefive:
Yup, Little Ben's your man for that type of bow.  Here's one of his build alongs:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=010908;p=1  
Thanks guys and thanks for the link. Little Ben did an outstanding job on that bow.  I figured I'm going to take a kick at the can on a 2 piece bow first.  I will see how that turns out. If     :scared:     the big (IF) it turns out I will stick with that design its all ready on paper, just a matter of going out in the garage and starting on it.    :biglaugh:

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
You all are too kind. But it is true I'm usually easy to reach if you wanna talk laminate bows. Also glad to hear that build along is being used cause man did it take forever to write that up.

If I had one piece of advice for anyone thinking 3 piece all wood it's this: keep the riser as short as you can, the limbs as long as you can bear, and go 25+% wider than you think you need. Easy to narrow later, hard to make wider.

After getting an e-mail from Dean about this, i can't help thinking about building another. Unfortunately I've got a pile of bows to make for friends before I can take on another bow for myself

Now that I think about it ... How is your 3 piece project coming Kenny?

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
I built a limb and realized my form had a flat spot I couldn't really see until the limb was done. I put the project on hold because the deadline was approaching and built a glass bow for my recipient with the help of another TradGang member. After promptly screwing it up in the finishing process, I am on my second attempt at a glass bow. I do have a new taper sled, though and will be using that in the future with the planer I hope to get this week. I have not given up on the take-down, but it will probably be after I get my trade bow out.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©