Author Topic: Spray guns for finish work  (Read 285 times)

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
Spray guns for finish work
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
I know I have read here before about suggestions for what people use for spray finishes.  I'm not having much success with the search function finding the threads I'm thinking about.

What kind of guns are you guys using?  I'm looking for something on the low end of the price range.  I seem to remember someone mentioning Harbor Freight stuff but they have a lot of options on their website.  Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.  I won't use it a lot but am interested in looking into it a little farther.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spray guns for finish work
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:22:00 AM »
I use the Harbor Freight purple one they call the touch up gun for about $15. It works just fine with my tiny compressor that I use for a brad nailer.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
I might go that sprayer route, Norbert. What size is your compressor? I don't have one and have been looking at the HF ones. I may try Big Jim's Krystal finish and am trying to see what it will cost me to get set up.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
I use the exact set up that beachbowhunter mentioned.  Works great.  Make sure you get the "touch up" gun.  Puts out less finish.

Another thing, get some good finish made for bows.  I use Thunderbird.  There are other good ones out there.  Big Jim's has a good one too.

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
What is the smallest air compressor you would recommend? HF has some 1/3 hp 3 gal ones for about 60 bucks. One review said it is great for air brushing, but not painting. Since a bow is somewhat small, it should work for that, shouldn't it?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
Sorry I hijacked your thread, Ranger. I just realized this was a similar post to mine and posted on the wrong one.

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Small 3 gallon compressor will work fine for the touch up gun. It will run constantly once you start spraying but it will keep up. One tip though, when using cheaper compressors, well any compressor for that matter, make sure to use an oil and moisture trap on the line.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
I use a DeVilbiss StartingLine gravity detail & touchup gun.  Excellent gun and not too expensive.  Have a small compressor with regulator.  As stated above, I have a filter in lne for moisture.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
Heck, I think mine is a 1 gallon Senco that came as a package with my nailer. Spraying a bow works with short bursts so it has time to catch up. Actually, I never have a problem with not enough air.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Sata Mini-jet. o.8 or 1.0 tip.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©