Author Topic: new to archery/bow building.  (Read 324 times)

Offline willyr1

• Trad Bowhunter
new to archery/bow building.
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:09:00 AM »
Hey chaps. Anyone in New Zealand (Nelson Marlborough area) into bow building and maybe keen on an apprentice or even show me a few tips to get me started? Im keen but just don't know where to start. Im starting to think about buying another bow but if I could make one maybe no need to.
Cheers.
Willy Roundhill.
68" falco legend 50#@28

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new to archery/bow building.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
Couldn't help you in NZ, but I can offer you this advice. Start searching the build along threads here. There are plenty start to finish guides with pictures to follow. Also check out some of Sam's build alongs on his Web site. His stuff really helped me a lot on the first couple. I don't know if I can post a link here without violating a rule or something, so I'll just say do a Google search for poor folk bows. That'll get you to his site.

Don't spend a lot of money on your first one or two because they will more than likely break but you'll learn a ton by going through the motions.

Third... When you start moving forward, post pics and specs here. There are plenty of experienced bowyers here that will help guide you through the process.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
WARNING! If you continue to proceed in the direction you are headed, you WILL become hopelessly addicted.
Oh, and welcome to Trad Gang! I have learned a lot here and so will you.    :wavey:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
what they said.
theirs a fly in my soup

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Can't help you there, but willing to help in general.  What sort of bow are you wanting to build?  I might suggest a simple bendy-handle flatbow about 58" long.  The form is a dead flat plank 1.5" wide (3.75 cm)and about twice that thick.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline willyr1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Id like to build a flat bow. I want to end up at a 65lb 60" bamboo/carbon backed type bow maybe some nz native timber in core and belly. But I know that bow is a fair few bows away so first im keen to lurn as much as I can with the first few. What tools will I need? I know about a bow oven but thats about it.
Cheers.
Willy Roundhill.
68" falco legend 50#@28

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
If your budget allows, a small band saw, a spindle / belt sanding setup, and a quality rasp and file set (rounded and flat) will make your life a lot easier.  

If your going to work with glass, a respirator is a must. You can get by without gloves and a set of coveralls but they sure do make post glass life less miserable.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Here's a picture of my second bow ever, a just recently finished prototype of a 58" bendy-handle flatbow that came out at 56#.  Next to the bow is its form - a plain flat piece of 2x2 timber.  Tools used:

sabre saw
2" x 18" belt sander
Round file
Sandpaper

Form
3/4" nylon 'strapping tape' spiral wrapped to hold the glued up laminations together while the epoxy dried.

Respirator mask
Hospital style rubber gloves

You do NOT need a bow oven, as long as you can keep the ambient temperature around the drying bow to 70F or more for 24 hours.

If you'd like to chat more off site, drop me a PM or email me: kenhulme at mindspring dot com
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Kiwi craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
Hi Willy
There are only a few NZers on here but they don't post very often. I'm a bit north of you on the other island just outside of Napier.I ended up buying plans and a  dvd from Binghams to get started.
The plans are cheep and you end up with a bow that will shoot.
Cheers craig

Offline Kiwi craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
Hi Willy
There are only a few NZers on here but they don't post very often. I'm a bit north of you on the other island just outside of Napier.I ended up buying plans and a  dvd from Binghams to get started.
The plans are cheep and you end up with a bow that will shoot.
Cheers craig

Offline daddymonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 02:35:00 AM »
Hi WIlly, just saw your post. Howdy. I am in Dunedin, just thinking of getting into the bow building adventure.
whether you believe you can or believe you can't you are right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©