Author Topic: ILF longbow  (Read 352 times)

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF longbow
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Ok I am going to build a ILF longbow riser (I will be buying the ******** longbow limbs) I already have the wood.. So I have a few questions.

1, How long of a riser? I would like to end up with about a 66" bow.

2, I draw 27 1/2, I want to end up with 50-53# what weight limbs should I get, as of right not they only offer the limbs in long?

3, What limb angle do I need? 12? 14? 18?

4, were do I cut the shelf, in the dead center of the riser? Or do I put the throat of the grip in the middle?
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF longbow
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Also I have Titebond 3 wood glue I was planning on using to glue the different woods together, will this glue work well?
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
The Titebond  3  should do well. Just be sure to have good tight fit between layers.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Treespain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
since you have a short draw then you could probably get away with going around a 15 to 16 degree limb pads. It will give you limbs a little more preload since most limbs are measured at 28". Standard limb pad angles are around 17-18 degrees and if you went with that at least you could swtich back and forth between ilf longbow and recurve limbs with no worries. In my opinion, I would go with 17 and you will most likely just be tuned with the bolts almost all of the way in.

As for the length, medium limbs on a 21" riser gives 62" amo. Im not a big fan of longer that 21" unless you're shooting field and not really hunting with it.

Some companies offer longbow limbs in xtra long, i believe that is your best bet to getting to your desired 66" length without have a riser that is absurdly long.

Offline Treespain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
As for how for to cut the arrow shelf, look around at some commercial risers that have a design similar to the one you have in mind and see how far they cut theres. I still haven't decided whether to cut mine to center or 1/16 past.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©