Author Topic: Sand paper  (Read 242 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Sand paper
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Hey guys, just wondering what grit sand paper you use when sanding limbs/ riser to profile? I was using 60 grit on my belt sander to get all the epoxy off my limb edges and after cutting profile out I switched to 150 grit to finish sanding to my pattern lines. The 150 grit doesn't seem to be hardly taking anything away/ starting to burn in areas is it two fine for fiberglass? I'm a little hesitant to switch back to the 60 cause it takes off so much so quickly thoughts? P.s.- newbi here haha
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sand paper
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
You need to go through the different grits progressively. If you started with 60, then move up to 80, then 100, etc. It's tedious, but necessary and you will notice an improvement in the finished product.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
when you use 150 grit , do it by hand.
finish work is a slow process      :knothead:  

when it burns, can you slow the machine down?     :dunno:  

and what wood carver said

take your time    :)
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
I can get the burns out I was just trying to that 1/8" I left to my layout marks off but I just didn't seem to be removing much ill head to lowes and get some new belts thanks
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
I use 50/60 and then 100 grit belts before going to hand sanding with blocks.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
Lately I have been using the fine rasp for getting rid of deeper marks left by the course rasp and coarser sand paper. ........but ya like the others say use 3-4 different grits.  And buy the good stuff like Aluminum oxide it lasts much longer. Its surprising how much sandpaper a guy goes thru building a couple bows.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
I use 50 grit to shape the limbs after cut out, then 80. Then I block sand the limbs with 120 before I ever bend it. Don't bend it after the 50 grit; you can raise a sliver on the glass.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©