Author Topic: new zealand flax bow backing  (Read 283 times)

Offline aus-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
new zealand flax bow backing
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm reasonably new to making self bows, with 2 of six ending up as shooters so far. I usually use red oak boards since they've become available easily in Australia, since i want some experience before hitting the white oak and elm staves I've drying drying. Besides bamboo poles and flooring there is not a great deal of bow wood available to get some practice making bows in Australia, not without spending a fair bit of cash, which is a problem with me going back to uni (college for you US blokes). A redoak board for 4est trekkers build along starts at $50

I've also got new Zealand flax growing in the yard like a weed. I was wondering if as a backing it does any work like sinew or just holds down fibers like the brown paper I'm using already. I haven't tried making strings with any of it yet either but might give that a shot for fun.

And a big thanks to, too many of you blokes to name for the knowledge and experience I've been able to read through in a lot of threads.

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new zealand flax bow backing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:18:00 AM »
Flax just holds it together... Does not add performance, I have used flax linen backing with great success on many bows   :thumbsup:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: new zealand flax bow backing
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Because of its non-stretch properties be careful not to add too much raw flax as it can overpower the belly. A thin layer will give you good back protection. Carpenters glue(TiteBond in US) works well for this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©