Author Topic: 3Rivers bamboo hickory blank kit  (Read 366 times)

Offline Armoured_Saint

• Trad Bowhunter
3Rivers bamboo hickory blank kit
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
I've been wondering about the Hill style bamboo-hickory kit from 3Rivers. It says it will make up to a #70 bow which is what I'm wanting. So my question is would I need to do anything besides finish the riser area and the tips? also how would it perform. I don't know much at all about bow making, but I thought this would be the ground level starting point. So any input would be great. God bless
"He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms."
2 Samuel 22:34-36

Online timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3Rivers bamboo hickory blank kit
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
welcome to the bench!

the blank will come glued and floor tillered. but you still have to tiller it and bring the weight down to what your wanting. you'll need scrapers, rasps, tillering tree/stick, sandpaper, finish, and a touch of patience.

boo backed hickory will make a fine looking and shooting bow, but it's up to the bowyer to make that happen. my first selfbow was a hickory blank, all i had was a couple pocket knives for scrapers and sand paper to tiller it. came out to 80#. broke it 2 years ago when i took a tumble down a hill.

can be done with minimal tools, and alot of reading in the how to and build along sections here. also look at the  http://www.3riversarchery.com/bow+building+tool+kit_i6305_baseitem.html  if you plan to build a few. as well as The Bowyers Bibles.

one last thing, there is no cure!! only more bows!! alot of knowledgeable guys on here and you will only find encouragement here.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Online timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
another option for blanks, staves, kits. sponsor here too.  http://www.pinehollowlongbows.com/Bow_Kits.html
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline Armoured_Saint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks. I've been thinking about build my next bow to save money(and to say I built it), but I'm just afraid that I'll mess it up and it'll blow up in my face. I guess all new bowyer have to overcome that fear.
"He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms."
2 Samuel 22:34-36

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
X2 on pine hollow longbows. My first bow was a hickory self bow from one of their staves. Great people and every time i had a question either Mike or his wife answered the phone! Now, my bow finished out at about 57# at 28" and only had about 3 1/2" of set. LoL.  But it actually looks good and shoots decent. I still get it out and fling a few every once in a while. Gotta start somewhere! Read everything you can and the only dumb question is the one not asked! Plenty of great people on here with tons of experience that will help you along!  P.s. Moose is right, there is no cure!   :help:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©