3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hang Them Bows, Anyway!  (Read 1391 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hang Them Bows, Anyway!
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
About a week ago I saw where one of our friends made a nice bow rack kinda like a hat rack with pegs on a board and bows hanging vertically. I decided I needed one to hang my wood bows on like that. Trouble is - no wall space in my "Glory Hole" - yet. Monday I found a new, expanding (accordian-like) rack in a second hand store (for 79 cents), and figured why not use a door (that I never close) - untill I get that room cleared up , with some freed up wall space (optimist to the end - LOL). Here is a pic with just the bows and then with my Barb quivers hung up also. It works, is safer for the bows, and much neater. I feel like I accomplished something. The lam bow I am working on now (in another thread) is leaning against the door between the 2nd and 3rd bow from left and there is even a peg left for it.

Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hang Them Bows, Anyway!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Bernie now that is some right proper recycling there.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
Thank you, buddy.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
I was thinking of something similar. Thanks for doing the field testing for me. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
BTW - The Lakota Plains style quiver, Barb made for me as a gift. The back quiver was her personal one, and I got it from Rick (her Man) after she passed. I use it at all the big trad shoots I go to, and some local (mixed) 3D shoots. Mike G. modified the strap for me and it fits great. It also has Red Deer teeth from Jock on it and Bear Claws from someone here, as well as a piece of Abalone from a friend of Barbs - not to mention the first Obsidian Arrowhead Barb made - shortly before she died. The Plains (side quiver) also has my, oh so special, Warrior Feather, from Killie, tied onto it . Lots of memories and gratitude portrayed in those pics. Three Osage bows from Dano (my Snakey one, and my two Greatgranddaughter's) My Barb BBO Bow by Frank Razo. A Osage by John Scifres from an auction, and the little 30 min. Holly Bow for kids that Mike Brooks gave to me to finish, before I started on the Glue up laminate he made me.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
I just noticed that you can also see the Walking stick I made, leaning against the doorway. It is (I believe) a piece of some kind of vine that a smaller vine wound around and they grew together. I mounted a piece of Bloodstone on a whitetail bur on top of it above the red cord wrap. I use it every morning as an aid for my Rotor Cup exercises. You know me - why use just a plain ol' ugly 3/4" Dowel when you can go uptown ... or is that downtown?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »
Thats a great idea just hope no one slams that door shut.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
They won't - not even by mistake. That's about 10#s of Riolite, with about 6#s of English Flint sitting on top of it that my "John Scifres" is pointing at down there -    :biglaugh:    

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
That's a real "squared away" looking bow rack Brother!!!!!   :thumbsup:

BTW,what kind of glass bows are they????? I'm a solid glass softee myself LOL,I had a bunch of them "indestructable buggers" over the years when I was a kid (sure wish I had them now)

Semper Fi Brother!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
Uh The little yellow one I got for a neighbor's son to shoot here but it doesn't shoot too well for anyone - for some strange reason (seems to be a-OK but is eratic as all get out and that's not good for kids ... or adults ;^)). It's a Li'l Sioux by Barnett. The big green one is a heavy weight by (I think it is) Ply-flex (not sure about the P) that has a twisted limb I have to work on - if my hands and forarms were as strong as they used to be I would already have fixed it (it shoots pretty good - but the string might slip off with someone who could pull it to full draw). Then there is also a large Yellow one that is 35# (and good to go) by Stemmler. Fiberglass are work horses, but usually not to shock- free IMO - overall normally good bows for starters though and I never can walk away from one at a yard sale or flea market.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
I cut my teeth on the Bear models like that Bernie and here I am 37 years later. LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be gnawing on those bows now, VTm - nearing 40 yer likly tuh do pernament damage to yer teefs   :saywhat:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Bernie, been shooting 37 years, started when I was 4.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Oh, I see - nearing forty from the far side,eh?   ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Let's just say it's still in the rearview mirror.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
Good to see those bows up and out of harm's way, Bernie. The rhyolite caught my eye, love the "ferns" on the outside of the rock.

I gotta admit, every time you (or Dano) post a pic with one of those feathers in it, I just grin all the way from the inside out!  :archer:  
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
I get the same feeling, at first I thought it was acid reflux  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
I feel great, honored, and thankful every time I get a chance glance at my "Warrior Feather", Killie, seriously. I did have the bows up out of harms way (I thought) but Horizontal and all on one rack (a cast iron Buck mount). One day last year I hit the end of one by accident and three came sliding down - Cameo Dog was coming to meet me at the time and it scared him so bad he worries every time I pick a bow up in the house now. thankfully he is still OK with them outside. That's when I decided I had to get them hanging verticle - soon - and that other persons rack was the inspiration my think box needed. I sure feel better about them now. (So does Rose!!! - and Camo Dog, I suspect.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©