Author Topic: 9" bandsaw: A brief review and thoughts  (Read 332 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
9" bandsaw: A brief review and thoughts
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Ok so yesterday I bought a 9" Skil Bandsaw from HD and I thought I'd share my experience with everyone. I see a lot of threads about what bandsaw to buy, and I always read them wishing I could afford one. The reality is that I cannot afford a large bandsaw, and even if I could, I simply don't have the space.

I live in a small apartment as I'm sure many others do too. My tools come in at the end of a session and get stored in what is supposed to be a coat closet. It's stacked floor to ceiling with bins of tools from a belt sander to torque wrenches.

So for those of you who also can't buy a big boy, and are tired of busting out the hand saw, this might be for you.

So first, what does it cost:
I paid $129, and it was not on sale, you can probably get a better deal if you search a bit or buy used. All the 9" saws seem basically the same, so I'd probably get whatever's easily available and cheapest.

How big is it?
Well it's about 35# and not much bigger than your grandmas table lamps with the big shade on it.

How's the quality?
It's decent ... It's workable .... It's acceptable for the price.

How's it cut?
Well .... It cuts. That's about it. If you've had the pleasure of using a proper bandsaw you won't be very impressed. It bogs fairly easily, and you have to cut pretty slowly on any bow sized wood. With that said, it cuts about as fast as I can with a decent medium to fine tooth handsaw. The main difference is that I'm not sweating like a horse by the time the cut is finished.
I think with a bit of care, a decent handsaw and a bit of experience under my belt, I can probably cut just as we'll or better by hand, but it's also not realistic sometimes with the virginia heat and a respirator on .... It's just exhausting. On the other hand using the bandsaw is pretty easy work. You won't break any speed records, but you'll feel a lot better at the finish.
My number 1 issue with the saw so far is that the cuts on larger stock (maximum depth of cut is 3 5/8" and so far I've cut up to 3" thick hardwood) is that the cut is not straight from top to bottom, it's slightly bowed but I think his may be a blade tension issue partly, only time and testing will tell. With that said, a quick ride on the belt sander fixes that bowed surface.
The second thing I don't love is the limited throat depth, it's really not enough to cut a riser block to length from large stock, so be prepared to cut he block down to length (12" for my designs) by hand, which isn't a big deal with a decent crosscut saw, I prefer the Japanese pull saws in a crosscut, rip combo.
Lastly, since it's easy to cut curves with a bandsaw, my total processing time for a riser block was reduced drastically, just because I could cut the block to a much closer shape than I could by hand before going to the belt sander.

Should I buy one?
Well, that's for you to decide, but I'd say if you don't anticipate having the money or space for a bigger bandsaw in the near future, this will make you a lot happier in the meantime.

Other features that are nice but not critical:
The 9" Skil is the only 9" saw with a rip fence, it's pretty cheap, but it works ok for the kinda stuff the saw can handle.
LED light for lighting the workpiece. I work outside so this is completely useless to me, but. Can imagine that in a comparatively dim basement, this could be a real help.

Hope this was of use to some of you out there. Until I get a proper shop set up, this will have to do, and I think even when I do buy a big bandsaw I will keep this for smaller work with a thin blade for detail work, model building, and general light small BS.

Thanks!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 9" bandsaw: A brief review and thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Ben, a 9" will work but if you are gonna be building lots of bows, glass or wood, get a 14" with at lease a 1hp motor. I have a Grizzly and have put lots of wood through it over the years and I'd recommend it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Ben, that is a great reality check review and will be helpful to lots of people. My guess is that you will wind up doing some testing with different blades to improve performance for both shaping and resawing.  Best of luck.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
Pat I totally agree. I've used some large bandsaws over the years in machine shops and such and their is no comparison.

There's just no way a larger saw was going to fit in the storage space I have available. No doubt once I have my own garage another bandsaw will be one of my top priorities. I had a feeling that a lot of the younger guys, college students and such were in a similar position to me.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Ben, cool review!

I have a book for you to borrow on tuning bandsaws. No, it's not The Bandsaw Book (although I have that too.) I bet you can get a little more precision out of that little saw. First up, I'd start with a blade. I'm pretty sure there are better blades for a 9" saw than what came with yours.

And yes, barrelling of the cut is pretty much exclusively a function of tension vs. thickness of wood. I doubt the frame or components of your saw can ever get to the proper tension for 3" of hardwood with a 1/4" blade, but a good, sharp blade will help. Also, a narrower blade helps -- you effectively want to tension to a specific blade psi. Since your max force is set for you, you can get more tension into a narrower blade.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
I saw this thread and looked up tabletop band-saws. This one topped the reviews by one of the woodworking magazines. It has the most bang for the buck with components and performance, compared to others, including the Jet 10" tabletop. I may need to get me one.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
I've got the Ryobi 9", and I find it cuts faster than that, but blade tension is absolutely critical.  I wish I had a bit more room, and I have to knock together a fence, but I'm plenty pleased with it thus far.  It's amazing what a band saw can do.  Even a little one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©