Author Topic: Thoughts on this riser  (Read 254 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on this riser
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
This would be an 18" long bow riser with the grip area set low in order to place the arrow rest at dead center.  Has this been tried or done?  

Any thoughts on the idea?

Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on this riser
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
I know some bowyers have one fadeout a little longer than the other, but not nearly that extreme.  Try it and tell us how it works out  ;)
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 05:10:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure this can work, but tillering would probably be more tricky because the limbs are of unequal length and mass.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
I've spent a lot of time thinking about tillering, limb lengths, arrow rest at center, hand pressure at center, etc. IMHO, unless you can also put your bow hand pressure at the center of the the bow, arrow rest at center has no advantage. And of course to do that, you need to figure out a way to shoot through your hand or use something akin to a crossbow. I think you're better trying to get the center of pressure from your hand at center if anything, but that's just my opinion...
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Mike,
Here is my take.

I would respectfully disagree with Andy that the limb length is significantly different and will cause tillering issues. Since the limb becomes essentially completely stiff almost immediately at the bending of the fades, the top limb will have only the slightest bit more working limb, like maybe 1/4"-1/2". This will give slight positive tiller which is what you want when the bow hand point of pressure is below the center of the bow.

From a mechanical (limb bending) standpoint, the riser design you posted is essentially identical to a riser with equal length fades and a longer grip section with arrow rest still at dead center.

In other words, since small changes in limb thickness cause exponential increases in stiffness, I don't think you see any substantial change in limb deflection between the upper and lower fades. If you do they will be extremely minor, and will also promote a slightly positive tiller.

I think it's totally doable, and will result in a bow with essentialy the same limb action as one with symmetrical fades.

I think Dave is on the right track in saying that there may not be a practical advantage to the design, but I think it will look sweet, and I don;t think it will shoot any worse than a standard symmetrical riser.

The main reason I would shy away from it is this:
If the bow has more mass above the point of contact with the bow hand, then the bow will be less stable and the top limb will tend to tip side to side more. A bow which has mass evenly balanced above and below th epoint of contact with the bow hand will tend to be more stable, tip less side to side, and I believe will result in a more stable and accurate shooting platform.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
Are there any mainstream bow builders putting the rest in the center of their bows? If not there might be a reason.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
That is my exact riser with one exception...my arrow rest is one inch above center. That makes the deepest part of my grip at the very center of my bow.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
KISS FACTOR
Keep It Simple Stupid   :)    :)    :)

Just my 2 cent's worth
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©