Author Topic: anyone like to rebuild a one piece recurve for me?  (Read 318 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
anyone like to rebuild a one piece recurve for me?
« on: August 03, 2014, 05:14:00 AM »
gday guys, i have an old one piece recurve that was my fathers. i began bowhunting with it and took my 1st 2 bow kills with it before it blew up on me. it looks like a martin mamba or a copy of one. it never had a brand name on it, just 'centreshot HO 107' 58" 55#@28"

it delaminated off the riser. the riser and fade is fine. i'd love to, if possible have new limbs made for it.

is anyone interested in rebuilding it? i would pay for it of course. would like it around 50#@28"

i'd like to change the shelf and sight window but i could do that before i sent it so that it could be refinished after the rebuild.

here's she is-

please help send this old bow into the woods again.  :archer2:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anyone like to rebuild a one piece recurve for me?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
Man I don't want to any way discourage you, but the fade and riser are not fine at all. That fade has another 3 inches at least that's broke off into the limb lamination, judging by the thickness of the broken end. Your best bet would be to get some smooth on or basic clear drying wood glue, and put it back together in a jig until it dries. After it does dry, drape an old string over it (don't brace it) and make a nice little plaque in honor to your father and hang the whole setup on the wall. Then have someone make you a new hunting bow.

I understand the sentiment, but things wear out man. Sometimes they break in ways that can't be safely fixed and there comes a time to retire them.

All the best!

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
I agree with Mike, put it on the wall and keep the memories of the good moments you had with it.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
I agree with Mike, put it on the wall and keep the memories of the good moments you had with it.

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
I'm not as sure that the riser broke off in the limb as Mike, but regardless, this would be a very difficult fix, and the amount of work that would go into it would be on par with building a new bow (possibly a good bit more, as the riser is cut through the back, so it wouldn't fit in anyone's form).  I'm going to have to agree to hang that one up and start looking into getting a new one.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
Yeah I'd have to agree with the other guys. Fixing this bow would require building a custom form using the intact limb as a template, grinding off all the fiberglass and lams from the rest of the riser, then basically require everything that goes into building a new bow. You're talking probably a full day of work on top of what it would take to make a new bow.

It's just cost and time prohibitive unless you can do the work yourself. I agree, glue it back together and make a plaque.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by bornofmud:
I'm not as sure that the riser broke off in the limb as Mike, but regardless, this would be a very difficult fix, and the amount of work that would go into it would be on par with building a new bow (possibly a good bit more, as the riser is cut through the back, so it wouldn't fit in anyone's form).  I'm going to have to agree to hang that one up and start looking into getting a new one.
X2
sorry
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
ok guys. i just thought i'd put it out there to see if you thought it might be fixable. keep sake it is then.

thanks
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
Too bad your not in Wisconsin. My old friend Dave fixed a calloway 21st century that blew up. We called Milton for(warranty first/none) help with the lams but it was a trade secret so we mic'd it out. Bow shoots good.
Its a lot of work and expense for sure. You would be better off building the whole bow at that..
Another wall-hanger by definition: Game animal or retired bow with sentimental value!

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©