Author Topic: shop vac vs. dust collector  (Read 622 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
shop vac vs. dust collector
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Someone in the know please discuss the difference as far as keeping your work environment somewhat healthy..

I assume the DC is much more efficient in pulling up dust off of aggressive sanding machines..  Is it worth the added cost for a hobbiest ??

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shop vac vs. dust collector
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
Very good question, Pat. I'll be following with interest. I will soon be setting up my new shop. So far I've been using my shop vac for everything, including lam grinding, and it does ok, so I dont know that I would spend much money on a system, but I dont want to become allergic to this stuff either.

Offline Jon in North Idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Efficiency in picking up dust all depends on how much suction and air movement you have.  There are times when a large shop vac will out-perform a small dust collector.

BUT - generally speaking, a dust collector is the better way.  Usually it sucks up more, but in addition it is quieter, uses less electricity, and is easier to empty - especially if it has a separator for "chunks" and "dust"
Dad to 6 amazing kids!
Psa 127:3-5  Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
about 10 years ago I bought a low end Delta dust collector. seems like it cost $200-$300 back then, but I don't remember exactly how much. no regrets for that purchase as it has served me very well. I don't have an elaborate network of vacuum hoses running to ever piece of equipment or anything, but rather just roll the dust collector around and attach to whatever I'm using. surely this cheap dust collector pulls way more cubic feet of air than any shop vac. I figure the more wood dust I can keep out of my sinuses the better. is a very small price to pay to ward off the long term affects of exposure to toxic sawdust. I really only collect dust from my band saw, thickness sander, and belt/disk sander. occasionally use it with the sanding drum on my drill press. my sorry ass old jointer has no port for dust collection, nor does my table saw. :-(
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
The vacuum can do a decent job if your using it efficiently.

Dust collector moves more air and is more efficient.

Both only work,well if you use them and how you set up the hoses etc.

Still get plenty of dust on everything.

If your shop is dusty after using either of the above the best thing is,the overhead air cleaners. I don't have one yet but wish I had 2.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
I have the red $99 harbor freight 1 hp dust collector, they claim it pulls 914cfm. I made a cyclone from a 30 gallon galvanized trash can, 99% of the dust and 100% of the chips stay in it.. I run the collector outside of my shop the filter bag is small and only traps particles greater than 35 microns..you don't want to breath in the small stuff, so it stays outside.. I used to use a shop vac, the cheap HF DC is much better.

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
collecting the dust and debris is one thing filtration and fine dust thats blown back into the air is another....that's what'll get ya....been a shop vac jockey so far but putting glass bows on hold until I get a GOOD DC...just my .02

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Soy makes one of the most important points.  Any vac will pick up the dust. The biggest problem is how many fine particles it puts back into the air.  Its not the saw dust you can see that is harmful but the small particles you can't see are what will be far less healthy.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
I agree, that's why my collector is outside of the shop. I am building a "Dog House" shed for it so I don't have to roll it outside every time I use it.. here's a picture of the lid off of my homemade "cyclone" I took my standard 4" DC hose connections to Lowes and found some 4" pieces to make it..I think they are for mobile home sewer pipes?  

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
I was running my horizontal drum sander yesterday day cleaning up some 1/4 inch slats on a makeshift thickness sander.

My dog was waiting for me to finish. When I went to play with her, her nostrils were partially packed with yellow dust.

Got my attention.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
This picture is at least 3 years old.. it was taken Before I got my dust collector, I used to open all the doors and turn on my big fan..I have always used a 2 filter respirator, even when hand sanding. a shop vac is handy and mine has a pretty good filter, I think the HEPA filters are over $20.  

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
I move from tool to tool in my shop, bandsaw a little, sand a little or run my jointer. Sure would be a pain to move and hook up a shop vac for every tool I use in succession.

A 2HP Griz dust collector with a remote start works for me.

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
I have the 2 hp Grizzly dust collector also.I took the bag collector off and piped it out side to a dust and chip pile.Even a collection bag lets out some really small particles that can just hang in the air to breathe.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
I use a shop vac on the tools and have the grizzly dust collector mounted in the ceiling, works great.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
I like that idea snapper!  I'm hoping to put together a shop in my old barn soon and I definitely want to get the dust outside.  My old shop had a piping system that went to several stations with a setup like Robertfishes but the collector was inside.  I had a air filter system on the ceiling too!  

There are a lot of guys here with great answers to questions, just ask.  :)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
I got this for my shop.
It's hard to spend money on something that does not help make bows.
but i need to.
I want a HANGING AIR FILTER also.

WE have to take care of our self.

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 12:25:00 AM »
I also have a big filtration filter system on the ceiling and found it clogging up and thats when I took the bag off the collector and piped it outside.I still use the filtration system but it doesnt clog up anymore.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »
When I built my new shop, a big dust collector was my first purchase. Be warned though, the Collector is only the beginning and maybe half the expense. All that ducting and blast gates, hoses etc. add up pretty quick.
The right collector is very important but  won't make up for poor collections fittings or shrouds on certain machines. I have a 5hp dust gorilla from Oneida and it would suck the chrome off a ball hitch but won't pick up 10% of the dust coming off the idler wheels of my edge sanders. To properly collect that dust, I am going to have to make a shield that puts the mouth of the collection chute right near the idler...but to use the side platen will require removing that shield. Just the way it is.
BIgJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Another thing, I put my dust collector in another room separate from my shop and run the piping through the wall. One reason was the noise, my collector makes some serious noise running, too loud to carry on a conversation in my shop if it was installed there. The other is fine dust that only dusts down my tractor and gardening equipment in the room where the collector is installed.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
A shop vac can work OK, Even a small DC will have more pull. The smaller ones are not that much money for the job they are doing, saving your lungs.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©