Author Topic: Alternative Glass Supplier?  (Read 846 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Alternative Glass Supplier?
« on: August 06, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
My last clear glass from Gordon was streaky and just not pretty!  What other outfits are manufacturing glass lams?

As a secondary question, are there any glass lams wider than 2" available?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alternative Glass Supplier?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
Kustom King sells fiberglass from Bearpaw (a German outfit).  I'm not sure who the actual manufacturer is.  I've never heard of anyone using it, so I can't speak to its quality.  Maybe contact them to find out more info.

Wider than 2" - never heard of any.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Thanks John.
Monterey

Offline delongbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
I got some Bearpaw glass recently and I was very disappointed with the quality. I ordered 12 pieces and when they arrived, I looked them over and noticed some streaks. I figured I'd glue up a limb just to try it out just to see how bad it was. It was very bad! I've gotten some streaks with Gordon glass before, but nothing like with the Bearpaw...it was terrible. Perhaps I just got a batch from a bad lot, but personally, I can't recommend the Bearpaw glass. I have no complaints with Kustom King however, they accepted a return on the glass with absolutely no problems whatsoever!

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Big Jim

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
I too have used the bearpaw glass ONCE and never again.As delongbows said very streaky and poor quality. Big Jim will see you right for Bowtuff.Re the other question, personally never heard of wider glass than 2'' but others may be able to advise otherwise.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 06:38:00 AM »
BearPaw has been trying to get me to purchase their glass and in no way will that happen.

The quality of Gordon glass is excellent, BUT the streaks (cosmetic issues only) come and go. It is unfortunate but there are no other acceptable sources for glass.
As long as people continue to use or request dark veneers under glass, those minor streaks will continue to stick out like a sore P***er.

But as with most others, I too like the darker veneers. If we increase the amount of trad shooters ten fold, the demand will allow Gordons to replace some of their old equipment.

BIgJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
These streaks make me a little sick to my stomach.

What do you do when you get glass like this?  Send it back?

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
Typical2, I hate seeing that. I have been lucky and have only seen minor places in my clear Glass.. I used to buy from KennyM, he always tried to weed out the streaky stuff the best he could. Maybe we can talk about "how we inspect glass" before glue up. I talked to a bowyer a few years back about this. He said they wet the glass and set it on a black surface, then shine a bright light on it hoping to find any streaks. I have used a black light in a dark room and shined it thru the glass looking for streaks, I have found some but missed some too. Like many others I prefer dark veneers like Figured Bubinga, macassar ebony and East Indian rosewood..I have some Royal Ebony that should look awesome under clear glass.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Typical2, that is what I'm seeing in my latest glue up, but not as bad as yours.  Once glued up, not sure how one would send it back.  

Based on the posts in this thread from trusted and reliable sources, I'll just keep on with the Gordon product.  I don't build enough or stock enough to sort it out.

Thanks to all that gave the heads up om Bear Paw!  :thumbsup:
Monterey

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
I glued up 3 bows with sweet veneers.  I love everything about how these bows turned out except this streaky glass.  I have never had a problem.

I can't imagine that Gordon's would want to sell this.  I'm sure the dealer wouldn't.  

I have 2 more pieces from this shipment and i am gunshy about using it on any nice veneers.  I will try to look for streaks before I use it and if it is iffy i'll turn them into tip wedges.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
There are very few strips without some imperfections and unfortunately dark veneers make them shine.

Gordon's equipment could use a little revamping but the clearness comes and goes. Just not enough bowyers or business for glass strips(like we use) left for them to spend the money to re tool is what i'm told.

bigjim

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
There are very few strips without some imperfections and unfortunately dark veneers make them shine.

Gordon's equipment could use a little revamping but the clearness comes and goes. Just not enough bowyers or business for glass strips(like we use) left for them to spend the money to re tool is what i'm told.

bigjim
Sadly the day will come when they NEED new tooling and either they'll stop making it or they will have to raise the price, probably drastically. Wouldn't shock me to see $25 or $30 per strip of glass at some point. Gotta pay for equipment somehow.

Or maybe we can all try to convert more compound shooters .....

Anyone know what the few big companies do? Are they making their own glass or also getting from Gordon?

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
The real question is "Are there any other manufacturers of bow glass other than Gordon's?"
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
Just Bear paw
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Ice Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
just a random thougt, and maybe a dumb one at that, but are there any suitable plastic alternatives to glass? It seems as though plastic is made everyday by multiple huge companies for various purposes. It is used in everything from bottles to computers..surely there is something in that whole hodge podge of a multi billion dollar industry that would serve as a viable, durable, and strong clear backing for the lowly bowyer yes?

Heck, it even seems as though it would be easier to manufacture, beings that it is heat formed..may even be able to build a home made furnace and teflon jigs to make our own?? lol

anyway..whatcha think?

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
Fiberglass is plastic...except the fibers I guess.

bigjim

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »
The big (trad) guys all get theirs from Gordons. They too have all the same cosmetic issues that we have too and then some.
Bear uses only colored glass and some of theirs can be streaky.

Bigjim

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
I have had a couple of sets of glass that were more streaky than the normal slight imperfections.  I contacted my supplier and he took care of me with no questions asked.  That's why I get my glass from Rosewood Archery  Mike always goes above and beyond to take care of my needs. He is a stand up guy and truly wants to give his customers the best product he can.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
My problem is that I don't see the streaks till after the glue up!
Monterey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©