Author Topic: Self bow for elk?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Ash Cox

• Trad Bowhunter
Self bow for elk?
« on: August 06, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
I'am thinking about using a 60#  selfbow that I made this summer? I have killed a lot of elk over the years with my black widow recurve.
I'am new to making bows but I realy like making them, I just have some concerns about penetration.
I have been shooting it lot and it shoots great out to about 20 to 25 yards so that will be my limit on a shot.

Just looking to see if anyone has used a self bow for elk?

Thanks let me know what you think.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Self bow for elk?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
I made a second BBO for Steve Welch, around 55#, He has killed 5 cows and one large bull with the bow.

He killed a pile of elk with the first BBO I made him which gave up the ghost after 5 or 6 years of heavy use.

Here is his bull with the first BBO I made him;

Offline Ash Cox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
Thanks!
My bow is a Ipe backed with bamboo,
62"  60#@28"

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Congrats on you elk hunting success.
No worries just go out and do it.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
Not that it is really germane to your question but there is a difference between the average  bamboo backed ipe and the average selfbow;  a selfbow being defined as a wooden bow without a tension backing.  What you have would be better defined as a composite bow.

Your composite bow, if of average performance, should shoot a hunting weight (10 gpp) arrow around 160fps, maybe 170 fps.  Thats roughly 39# of kinetic energy (KE).  Easton recommends 42# for elk for what that's worth.

In 2000 my friend shot a mature cow with a 50#ish osage selfbow.  It penetrated the width of the body, but no passthrough.  He was getting 34# KE.

All that said, at 20 yards with a sharp 2 blade head, broadside, you should get both lungs and have a dead elk.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
I would also suggest shooting a high performance material string!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
I've been to Colorado two times with selfbows or sinew backed bows. Never had the opportunity to take an elk but I was confident my bows would do the job. Having your set up tuned for your shooting and compatible arrows with very sharp 2 blade BH and good shot placement will put your elk on the ground.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
John Scifres makes a really good point that a backed bow can often significantly outperform a selfbow if made well.

With that said, performance can vary alot depending on design and bowyer skill. I have two hickory selfbows for example, one is 46# @26", and the other is 52# @26". They both shoot a 500gr arrow at the same 140-142ish FPS. The lighter one is a short recurve and the heavier one is a narrow bendy handle bow.
I also built a sinew backed ERC recurve, that consistently shoots over 150FPS @ 500gr and draws about the same 45#@26 as the hickory bow. Thats on par with my old York Thunderbolt of same weight. (All with FF string).

The point I'm getting at is that not all wood, or handmade bows are equal, and if you have any doubts, just chrono it, and see what energy it actually puts into the arrow. Thats what matters, not how hard it is to get to full draw.

I try to chrono all my bows, mainly because it helps the bowyer learn from minor design changes that might only result in a couple FPS, (i.e. efficiency) and can't be seen with the naked eye or felt with the hand.

and to second what Frank said, FF string is just like free FPS, which even the finest selbows can use. All my bows get FF. 8-12 strands of 8125, and padded loops. I don't pad the serving I just use the thicker serving material ... like .030 Halo maybe. Every bow will gain speed from FF, as long as you can resist making the string very thick with more strands than needed.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
While I encourage agreement with comments  :) , that was not exactly the point I was trying to make LittleBen.  Let's not paraphrase.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Never shot an elk, but shot a lot field tips into trees at 15-20 yards. I cant imagine what a sharp 2 blade would do to an elk at the same distance. For the record more elk have died to wood bows than any other. I wouldn't be afraid hunting anything in NA with a 55-60# wood bow.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:
While I encourage agreement with comments    :)   , that was not exactly the point I was trying to make LittleBen.  Let's not paraphrase.
Respectfully, I wasn't agreeing, or  paraphrasing. Certainly didn't mean to imply that the opinion I was expressing was your opinion. For that I apologize if I was unclear.

Merely was using your mention of one bow vs. another to transition into a discussion of energy vs. draw weight.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
They will work....

Selfbows - my son with a good bull killed with an osage selfbow.

And here is a Yukon moose taken with a selfbow...

And also a large cow I took with a board bow...

Every bow shoots different for everyone shooting it...your style, draw length, and arrow choices will determine it's effectiveness.   There is no reason a selfbow won't work for you.   Know your limitations, the bows performance in your hands, and then stack the deck in your favor by choosing the right arrow, broadhead, and shooting setup.  

Once you "wrap your head" around the idea that you CAN hunt effectively with primitive stuff, it's really no different than using "regular" equipment.   Except more fun, since you will likely be involved in it's making and will enjoy the whole adventure leading up to using it in the field.   Good luck!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
They will work....

Selfbows - my son with a good bull killed with an osage selfbow.

And here is a Yukon moose taken with a selfbow...

And also a large cow I took with a board bow...

Every bow shoots different for everyone shooting it...your style, draw length, and arrow choices will determine it's effectiveness.   There is no reason a selfbow won't work for you.   Know your limitations, the bows performance in your hands, and then stack the deck in your favor by choosing the right arrow, broadhead, and shooting setup.  

Once you "wrap your head" around the idea that you CAN hunt effectively with primitive stuff, it's really no different than using "regular" equipment.   Except more fun, since you will likely be involved in it's making and will enjoy the whole adventure leading up to using it in the field.   Good luck!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Whoops-a-daisy...sorry about the double.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
It was worth the double look, Mark.    ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ash Cox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input!,

20 days and counting till colorado bow season!
 I will let you know how it goes.

Offline Rudy Cariello

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
I've killed a few whitetails, a bear and a couple of moose with Osage selfbows and bamboo backed maple bows. After digging this arrow out of an Aspen last year, I'm thinking IF I could ever hit an elk, I'd kill it!! In a couple of weeks, I hope to find out.

It's a good day for something.

Offline Ash Cox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help!
Bow season starts on Saturday here in colorado.
I will let you know how it goes!

Offline Ash Cox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
It worked!!

I shot a cow elk with my bow at 17 yards and it buried to the fletch.  She ony went about forty yards and fell over dead!
Now that I know how good it works, I am off to try and get a bull,bear and a fall turkey!

Thanks again.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©