Author Topic: 54" Hybrid Build-Along  (Read 6086 times)

Offline JGR1269

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 54" Hybrid Build-Along
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Actually FedEx finally located my package and got it to me Sunday afternoon. My original plan was to try this coating from Eastwood called Elasti-Wrap. It's a spray on rubberized matte clear coating that you can peel off easily if you want it off. It's similar to Plasti-Dip but requires fewer coats for coverage. I've been watching YouTube videos on Plasti-Dip for over a year now and watched them coat cars, wheels and other automotive accessories with it. After some thought I decided this wasn't the bow to use it on because I just bought a Selway Slide-On quiver for it. My fear is that when I slide the quiver on it will tear the finish on the limbs.
After more research I found another clearcoat that Eastwood makes in an aerosol. It's a 2K clear with an activator canister built inside the can. To activate it you use the provided tool to puncture the activator canister, shake it up, and spray. It puts on a finish like a spray gun without the use of a air compressor or gun and has a pot-life of 48-72 hours. I used Dupont automotive clear on my last build and it worked great. I don't have a compressor here at home so I've been searching for something like this in an aerosol.
I still think the rubberized coating would be a great temporary finish on a bow, especially a hunting bow or a bow with a high gloss finish. I will be trying it eventually, just not on this bow. I hope to have the finish done on the bow this weekend and I will post pics when it's done.

I apologize for the long-winded post but I wanted to explain what the plan is.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
I use a spray gun but I know some guys have good success with these:   http://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738

Offline JGR1269

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
I bought one of those and was going to go that route until I found this in an aerosol.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
JGR1269
All that fiber glass in the riser, did you sand both sides or was it core tuff?
Can't wait to see the finished bow
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline JGR1269

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »
This one is all Coretuff but a few of my bows I used black glass and sanded the shiny side with 36 grit.

Offline JGR1269

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
I just sprayed the finish on the bow and I must say I'm impressed with this material. I've been in the painting business my whole life and have never sprayed an aerosol can that was this close to using a paint gun and a two component system. I'll admit it wasn't cheap but it was the answer in my situation. I was able to spray two bows with one can of clear. At $27 per can shipped, I think it was worth it. Now I have a durable, weather resistant finish that should hold up well. I'll post some pics when she's dry enough to handle.

Offline chackworth3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Good. Been waiting on this one

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
Such a beautiful bow, shame you all build your risers backward.  Got a link to that finish?

Offline JGR1269

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
I scaled it one last time after sanding and rounding the limb edges. I'm very pleased with where I ended up. Pretty much right where I wanted to be.

This is the finish I ended up using.

Here is the link for it.
 http://www.eastwood.com/2k-aero-spray-matte-clear.html?reltype=2&parent_id=26897

This finish is really quite impressive. Since it is a matte finish I applied several light coats then I sprayed the last coat on from about 16 inches away to give it a slight texture. It resembles the frosted finish on a Black Widow and that was what I was going for on a hunting bow. I was really surprised how fast it cured and now 24 hours later it has a hard, durable feel to it.
I can't say enough good things about it and will definitely be using it on all my bows in the future.

I'll let it sit for a couple more days before I string it up and start shooting it. I have just a few weeks before the season opens here in New York and I plan to get some blood on it ASAP. Heading to Missouri in mid-October to hunt for a week and hope to knock down a good buck with it there. Please feel free to critique and comment. I'm always open to criticism and better ways of doing things. Thanks for following along.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
Nice job
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Nice jobx2 very well done.

Offline chackworth3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
Turned out great Jon!

Offline Dannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
beautiful bow!!

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the very good build along. A lot of neat tips and tricks to keep in mind. That finish does look pretty good, and that's a sweet bow! I wouldn't mind following you on your next build! lol.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline chall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Awesome build , beautiful bow. Thanks for posting it.
Eric Hall, Chris Hall , Cyndy Hall

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
Really good build a long. Turned out very nice!!
High on Archery.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2017, 04:48:00 AM »
Beautiful bow and great finish. Might see if I can source some of that spray over here.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2017, 04:25:00 AM »
Just googled the Aero spray and its available over here-------Aus. $57 a can!!!! wouldn't want to waste any!!!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
too much sugar for a nickel.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©