Author Topic: Wooden bow tillering question  (Read 399 times)

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
Wooden bow tillering question
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Don't know why it took me about 15 bows to ponder this, but this is what I'm wondering:  On a flatbow, once you're past the parallel limbs coming out from the handle, the last half (more or less) of the limb is pyramid shaped to the tip.  Should the tiller for that be mostly side tapering with essentially no tapering of the belly like it's done on a pyramid bow?  On top of that, I usually leave the last 6-8" of the tips stiff and have to factor that in, too, I guess.  Maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing?    :knothead:
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wooden bow tillering question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
Just tiller like you would tiller any bow. A true pyramid bow has even thickness through the limbs and the tiller comes from the taper from handle to tip. It is quite difficult if possible at all to make a true pyramid bow with a stave because of the irregularity of the wood. You can with a board stave because it has been sawn flat. A bow can have a pyramid shape without being a true pyramid bow.
 I think you are overthinking it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
I like to leave the last 6-8 inches not bending much too.
You have to use your judgement. When an area become too thin then begin to narrow it to bring the tiller home. Jawge

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:30:00 AM »
Thanks Pat and Jawge.  I'm working on a red elm bow from a board, just have it floor tillered.  I love the look of elm but have had no success making one that will last any length of time.  My last attempt was a very good shooter until it started to fret 10" from the tip on one limb.  I'm trying to cover all the bases before I tiller this one.    :confused:
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
You have to be sure both limbs are bending evenly and together before you move to the next stage of tillering...from floor tiller stage to the final tillering. Elm is an excellent bow wood but like any bow wood you can't rush or try to cut corners. Sounds like you tried to bend that other elm before it was ready.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©