3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Taper/Whadya do now?  (Read 309 times)

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
Taper/Whadya do now?
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Received some fir shafts today. The shafts are tapered, but someone forgot to first put on the nock tapers  before the shaft taper. I grind on my point/nock tapers usually. Am I up the crick, or would self-nocks be the way to go here? Dunnit before, just wasn't planning to. What's your suggestion(s).
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Taper/Whadya do now?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
Get a nock taper tool that is the size of the shaft, I am guessing 5/16''

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
If the shaft has been tapered to 5/16, it's probably too small for self-nocks.  How do you grind your nock, point tapers?  I use a self made jig set at 11 degrees which I use on my table saw equipped with a sanding disk.  Just put a few thicknesses of masking tape near the nock taper end to account for the thinner shaft there due to the tapering, and then nock taper as I normally do.  If you have a woodchuck tapering tool with a sanding disk, a few pieces of masking tape in the groove closest to the sanding disk might do the trick.  Good luck.

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Orion, sounds like I have the same setup. May try the tape idea. The very end of the shaft is .310 to .312 according to my Vernier. So the area where the base of a plastic nock should go is at least that or thicker, thankfully.

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Just solved my own problem. Sorry, guys. The board I was using had 11/32"slots in it to lay the shaft in and grind tapers. Obviously a tapered shaft would sit at an angle against those straight walls.

Recently made a new board using "V"-shaped slots. Just realized that laying even a tapered shaft in that "V" causes the shaft to lay centrally from side to side. The "V" shape centers the shaft. No tape necessary. I'll just dig in and taper.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
QED  :thumbsup:

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
Tilbilly, you beat me to the answer.  The "V" groove is the way to go.  Thanks to Woodchuck.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©