Author Topic: Bingham's recurve help  (Read 238 times)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bingham's recurve help
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
I have the Bingham's one piece 58/60" plans.

How thick is the fiberglass?
and I know it uses 1 parallel and a taper .002 or 001?
I would say .002
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Dan76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bingham's recurve help
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
The fiberglass is usually .043 thick and yes the taper on the binghams tapers is .002 when you use just the taper and parallel.

Dan

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
I have only built the 58" recurve using 040 UL or 043 ULS glass. I have only used a 002/inch total taper. I have played around with the riser length some too. I have added an extra lam extending past the riser fades 2 1/2" to 3". I just use a 040 parallel cut to legnth and I sanded a fade in the last inch to 1 1/2 inches..it dose add a couple of pounds to the "formula". The next experinent will include a 6 inch tip wedge and maybe increase taper to 003/inch.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Robertfishes

There lines on there drawing are wide and some of them are crooked

It's hard to figure out what to do. if you measure out side or inside the lines is a big difference.

I had these plans for a while and decided to build one
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
I got my plans in 2009, the lines were nice. The "blue prints" seem to be general guide lines not really perfect or exact. I made a tracing off of the print..then made a wood template, using the template I cut out form with my band saw, then trued it up with the template and a 2" long pattern bit on router table. I kinda changed the design a little. I tightend up the hook a little..and narrowed the limb tips more than the print

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Oder Bingham's lamination kit for your desired draw weight and follow thier plans.  If you stick tho their plans with their kits, you'll be very close to your intended draw weight.  When you get the materials put a pair of calipers on them and measure the thickness of everything that way you'll know for the next one or know how to adjust the stack thickness for the next one.

I wouldn't worry too much about the thickness of the line or inside vs. outside.  The width of the line would only amount to a pound or two in draw weight.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
The thick line on the print may be the reverse taper and Formica strip on top of the plywood?  Thanks to the late Mr Bingham and Bingham's Projects, their Videos and plans have helped a lot of us get started.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 04:22:00 AM »
watcha mean, the late mr bingham...?
is Elmont gone??!!??
or are you referring to Elmonts father- sorry you just gave me a start!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©