Author Topic: Glass bows, limb profiling.......  (Read 267 times)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Glass bows, limb profiling.......
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Hey everyone,   what is THE BEST tool for SANDING glass limbs to desired profile?  Edge belt sander? Disc sander?  I just want to purchase the absolute best machine I can afford for this specific purpose....taking down limbs that are (example) 1.5 at the fades down to  3/8ths or whatever at the nocks...removing alot of material!  Tell me what ya think.....Thanks!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glass bows, limb profiling.......
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
That is the part of bowmaking I like the least. I think the real pros like the Grizzly Edge Sander, plus you can rig it to be a profile sander. I just dont have room for one.

I try to trim as much off on the table saw then go to my Rigid oscillating edge sander and small belt sander to get to my lines.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
I would buy the grizzly G0512, the platen (the flat plate behind the belt) is 31 1/2" long. or G1531,G1140

A lot of people use sanding drums to get close to the line and then sand buy hand with a block and sand paper.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Those are machines that I have been looking at.....but didnt want to move forward if they werent the best tool....or if they were serious overkill in terms of size and of course price.  Sounds like Ive been looking in the right direction so far.  Hope some others will chime in too......thanks guys!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
I dont know whats the best..Last year I bought a used G1140 off of Craigslist. I wanted a GO512 but could not find a "good deal" on a used one. I recently installed a pattern Sander conversion on the motor end. I have a small shop and used a 6"x 48" verticle sander for 3 years and then bought the Rigid combo belt/spindle sander, the Rigid is very handy and light weight. I have not used the Rigid spindle sander since I already had a 6 inch Jet oscillating spindle Sander. For grinding limbs I first use a 50 grit belt and get close to the line then switch to a 120 grit belt to sand to the line. I used a carbide blade once, I just didn't feel safe doing it that way.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
I cut up to about 1/8 to 1/16 from the finish profile with a saber type saw.  Gotta dip the blade in water ever two inches or so.  I used to use a 3" drum on a drill press but now have a ridgid oscillating belt sander.  The belt sander is a much better option.  Final is done with a 1 1/2 half by 1/4 by 11 strip of hardwood with 60 or 80 grit glued to the back.  That nicely levels any slight dips.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
It would be nice to have one of the big Grizzly Edge Sanders but I have been using a ridgid oscillating belt sander.I have used these for 15 years with no complaints yet.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
I use a 4-1/2" hand grinder with 36 grit to remove most of the material
then a belt sander
you need to use 120 grit or finer to finish to the line

a ruff grit can make a boo boo to FAST
how do I know that   :knothead:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
You guys got all the fancy tools.  I use an inverted 3x18" belt sander with 40 grit to get close to the line, then a 12" sanding block with various grits to finish the job.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.....thinking Ill move forward with one of the Griz edge sanders....as always a little more $$ than Id like to spend,  but Im figuring once I get it and start using it,  Ill forget all about that part haha!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Eric............

Always buy the very best tool you can afford, comes out a lot cheaper in the end.

Mark...........

I found some 24 grit discs, might wanna give them a try. They cut faster and last longer than the 36.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©