Author Topic: Reducing TD LB Hand "Buzz"  (Read 345 times)

Offline Standswittaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Reducing TD LB Hand "Buzz"
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
I'm an aspiring bow builder, and have honestly really come a long way in building bows. I just finished two TD longbows and love them.  Other than I got in a hurry and took the fadeouts off the wrong side of the walnut/zerbra riser, i'm very happy.  

When shooting them, they do have a slight buzz in the hand, though not too bad at all.  My limb make up right now is:

Glass
Veneer
Taper
Wedge
Parrallel
Veneer
Glass

If i use a reverse taper system with one parallel and two tapers. will this reduce the buzz.  Again, I'm splitting some hairs here as it is not bad, but when comparing to professional builders (pronghorn, black canyon) there is some shock.  I notice that it looks like pronghorn uses three parallels and BC uses what I believe is a tip wedge (potentially a piece of glass).  

Just curious how I can continue to improve my bows.  Here are some pics of the two I just finished. thanks for ANY information.

Offline Standswittaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reducing TD LB Hand "Buzz"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
Sorry, not sure how to post pics..very confusing.

Offline Standswittaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »

test

Offline Standswittaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »

Offline Standswittaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Check out Kirk's post on this    thread
You can see the limbs vibrate on some bows more than others. It has a lot to do with your limbs coming back to brace height at the same time. You may hang your bow on a tree using the pressure point of your hand as the location for the bow to hang from (can be tough depending on your tree) instead of the low point of the grip. Then pull to see how the limbs bend. If you use a low grip you put more stress on the bottom limb which can mess up the limb tiller. Your risers look like the pressure point of your hand is 3+ inches below the shelf. IMHO
Nice looking bows by the way.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
sweet looking bows. If the tiller is in check  then reduce the size of your tips they look pretty thick in the pic.   mine are only .125 thick this could help

Shawn

Offline Standswittaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
thanks guys, I'll try both!

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
I build a lot of hybrids, and one thing i've noticed is that when the string is really close to the limb tips, you can get a slapping effect as the bow returns to brace.  I think the string slaps the belly of the limb and causes extra sound and vibration.  I increased my normal brace height from 7.25-7.5 to 8-8.25, and everything has quieted down and deadened in the hand.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Bornofmud beat me to it. I think he's dead on here. Increase brace and/or serve ends of string with wool to deafen the slap and/or add string silencers like wool balls.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©