3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stump Shootin!  (Read 393 times)

Offline jerrod

• Trad Bowhunter
Stump Shootin!
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
When the weather breaks here in Northwestern Pa, I would like to try some stump shootin.  I found and old growth semi- swampy forest that has rotten really soft stumps all through it.  My question is what kind of arrows do you take stumpin,  I don't want to junk my wooden arrows.  Carbon, aluminum, bent arrows, any suggestions.
John 3:16

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stump Shootin!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
shoot what ya got..... that is the role of the arrow (to be shot).  To deny them their life goal is cruelty.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I just about only shoot wood arrows.  I have a few that I have relegated for stump shooting.  On those I have judos glued on and have shot them at everything from rotten stumps to pine cones and a few not so rotten stumps.  Only a few have broken from hitting a not so rotten stump or rock.  Like Bob says shoot what ya got.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
I agree to a certain extent.  Shoot them.  That being said, I went stump shooting this past weekend with two friends.  I was shooting aluminum, one was shooting carbon, and one was shooting cedar.  The only one to break any arrows was my friend shooting cedar.  He broke three(although one was compliments of his brother), and not because he hit rocks.  Sometimes that stump isn't nearly as soft as you would think.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
A .357 case (about 75 grains) secured to the end of a previously broken wood arrow makes for excellent stumping arrows.

My buddy saws off the tips of his fieldtips and slips .30 carbine brass over them (aluminums and carbons).
Lon Scott

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
My personal favorite is my grizzly stick topped with a hex head. I know it is expensive, but I havent broken one yet in the last 4 outtings. My cedar arrows on the other hand I would break 3 or 4 on every outting.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
i walk out with 3 arrows and if i make it back with any i didn't have enough fun. shoot'm break'm build more. i love the smell of those port oxfords!
serious note, i carry pliers and an ice pick to remove those arra's i shot into the hard stumps. i also carry some flagging to mark spots i lost arra's-exspecially in winter- and return later to find them

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
I shoot what I have. I use home made .38 heads, nutters, what ever works.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
To get 38s heavy enough hammer some split shot into them.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
I don't break nearly so many now that I have switched to hex heads. Ash or aluminum, they are holding up just fine!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
I went to CX terminator hunters because stump shooting in the Misery Breaks involves as much rock as it does sage.  Have never broken one since.  Curled judo points up,but never broke the arrow.  I shoot a Harrison Lobo that is 63 at my draw (26") so they are moving.

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Judo tipped woodies.  I will second the comment that sometimes "stumps" aren't as rotten as they look, ouch.  Eric.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
I use carbons but don't shoot at anything anywhere near hard and avoid stumps unless out to 25 yards.  Since I shoot 250 heads I get the glue on judos and put a steel insert into them to get about 240 grains.  Was out with my oldest boy stump shooting Sunday and split the outer casing of the judo almost up to the spring on a hard stump.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
went out sunday stumpin with my brother and buddy pat...my brother shot two of my blunt cedars.  those were my last two LOL.  yes its a shame they are broken but thats what they are for.  i made them to shoot them not to look at them.

i also shoot my 2016s with hex heads.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
Sorry Tom.  I thought it was 3 broken.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
I sleeve my broken cedar shafts with 3'' to 4'' aluminums and put on Judos, they seem to work fairly well
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©