Author Topic: Fear of Glue  (Read 393 times)

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
Fear of Glue
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
I have made a good many all-wood bows (I'm including bamboo even though it is a grass). Gluing backings on never really bothered me. I guess I figured if I messed up I would just go cut some more wood. Now that I have made a couple of glass bows, I notice I seem to procrastinate when it comes to gluing then up. I get all the laminations done, glass cut and taped, and riser done, then for some reason I put off the glue up. Maybe it is the cost of the glass and subconsciously I know it is permanent, so I don't want to make a mistake. I think if I had not been on a deadline with the trade bow, it would still be in pieces in my shop waiting on the glue. Any of you get the hibbie jibbies when it comes time to glue it up?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fear of Glue
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Nope. I take forever to get all the pieces together: riser prepped, lams spliced, etc. But once I do, I'm quick to slap some glue on and shove it in the oven. Then I peel back the edge of the tape like a kid a Christmas, grind the edges to look at my glue lines, and.... wait. It'll sit like that for awhile before I get a fresh burst of inspiration and make a bow out of it. My final bowyer's block issue comes when it's time to apply the finish.

I can understand where you're coming from though. But once I've got my stuff in order, I stop worrying about screwing up. At least with the glue-up stage.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
I can relate, some projects seem to sit forever. Not usually becsuse of the glue up fears though.

I'm hugely impatient so if a bow doesn't seem like it will come together very rapidly, I quickly toss it in the corner and grab something that can be finished THAT DAY!!!!! It's the need new bow now syndrome.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 05:32:00 AM »
I used to early on. After a few bows I became more relaxed about it.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:41:00 AM »
Lots of times I forget the glue and just use duct tape..  :)

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
I've seen some of your "duct tape" bows, Roy!   :thumbsup:
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
It's helped me a lot to do a dry run or two to be sure everything lines up right. Seems like once it's in the form things come to mind that I want to change or do to make sure nothing moves. Then glue up isn't as nerve racking.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm another heeebee geebee guy.  Get everything all planed out, measured out, dry fit.  And then.......
fear of failure, maybe.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
nah..gluing is the fun part.

I will have spent months thinking, planing, doing dry runs,...saving the $$$$.

When it's time glue I'm like " LET'S DO IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS ! "

I get the shakes till full draw..too many breaks..lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowjunkie:
I used to early on. After a few bows I became more relaxed about it.
Same here. Now I  hesitate before drilling my limbs and riser for the attachments
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
I'll bet your not the only guy in that boat.....I wonder how I know that.....
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
Well, I bit the bullet, yesterday, during my lunch break. I was really prepared, I thought, but then it seemed like everything that could go wrong went wrong. Needless to say I got her all done. I'm going to give her a full 24 hrs to cure even though she sat in the back of my truck at about 100 degrees all afternoon yesterday. I've got my fingers crossed.

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
OK guys, I finished the glue up yesterday about 12:30 and put the bow in the back of my truck. When the temps were in the 90's my thermometer read about 140 degrees in my truck bed. I didn't have a thermometer handy, but feel like it was probably at least 100 degrees for about 3 hours.  It sat in my shop overnight, but the temps dropped below 70 to about 62 last night for a few hours. Do you think it will be safe to take it out of the form at 12:30 today after 24 hours or should I put it back in the sun again today? Normally I hate the 90+ degree days but they are great for glue ups without having to break out the heat box. Unfortunately we had a mild one yesterday.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Glue on a bow? who needs that? Get the bark off some hickory or hackberry and cut away what does not look like a bow.   :knothead:    :knothead:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I'd put it back in the sun, maybe it will melt and warp, then ya can build a real bow..  :)

X's 2 what Kelly said..  :)

But I'd put it back in the heat some more, but hell I don't know squat bout glass bows..  :)

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
I cleaned up the glue, but checked my stack and it it turned out a little heavier than I intended. I will do some trapping to see if I can get her down to a manageable weight.

Don't worry, Roy. I ain't through with wood bows. I just made up a new form for them this past weekend. I only took a walk on the glass side for fun and experience.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©