Author Topic: New to fiberglass bows  (Read 325 times)

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
New to fiberglass bows
« on: September 24, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this website and fiberglass bows. I have been making selfbows / laminated wood / horn sinew composite bows for about 8 years now and decided I wanted a new challenge.
So I went to Binghams website and ordered enough the materials to make a reflex/deflex 68 inch longbow design to start with.
Maybe stupidly I thought I could source the air hose and turn myself some plugs to blank it off....well I just can't get the plugs to seal? What method do you guys use? The plugs are a very tight fit so much so that I had to use a bit of epoxy to lube them on with but when I pressurised it up.....leaks. I mailed Binghams and they said to try silicone sealant but that they're hose/plug combo doesn't need a sealant. Anyway last night I clamped them back up using silicone and will be trying them in a few hours.
I have a feeling that the hose I got isn't suitable because it's not smooth on the inside, it has a sort of grid pattern in the rubber.
So my question is what do you guys use?
Many thanks in advance.

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to fiberglass bows
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
I have three hoses all three ordered from Bingham using their supplied plugs and clamps and i have not had any issues. I just did not want to take any chances with air loss during the oven curing time.
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:07:00 AM »
I've got two hose set-ups coming from them but my first order from them took ages to get here. I'm all ready to get the first one glued up apart from this hose sealing issue...
I could of course just use half of my form and innertubes but I know the limitations of this method and would prefer to use the hose.

Offline KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
Hi Mike.  Good to see you here.  I "know" you from your beautiful work and posts at ATARN.

Can't help with your pressure hose problem, just wanted to welcome you.  I don't even use an air pressure form.  I just use bicycle innertube rubber bands on a form cut from a 2x12.  Here's the form for a 48" wood-glass Scythian style bow I made awhile back

[/url] [/IMG]
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
The plugs from Bingham's are tapered slightly, the ends are larger than center.. Kind of like an hour glass. It has been a while since I seen the inside of the fire hose..I think it is smooth black rubber. Big Jim also sells hose and plugs.I used 2 hose clamps on each plug.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
if you get desperate you could try slime
 http://www.slime.com/

disclaimer--I've never used it on my fire hose!
Mike

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
The hose plug thing is not too bad, but you must know the "CURVE". Just straight plugs will likely become projectiles.

The plugs will seem a little loose in the hose, but with two quality clamps on each plug, you won't have too many issues.

With our plug kits, we supply clamps too. Make sure they are tight, add air and check for leaks. If they leak, tighten carefully with a wrench so you can do it a little at a time and not strip the  clamps. Continue until you have no leaks.

You should be good to go after that. Once  you have heated them in a build or two, you will have to cut them apart to remove the plugs.

Our hoses are double walled and are likely to last most people their entire bow building life!

thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
coat the plugs with smooth-on, then apply the clamps. Easy fix and will never slip or leak.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
The hose plug thing is not too bad, but you must know the "CURVE". Just straight plugs will likely become projectiles.

The plugs will seem a little loose in the hose, but with two quality clamps on each plug, you won't have too many issues.

With our plug kits, we supply clamps too. Make sure they are tight, add air and check for leaks. If they leak, tighten carefully with a wrench so you can do it a little at a time and not strip the  clamps. Continue until you have no leaks.

You should be good to go after that. Once  you have heated them in a build or two, you will have to cut them apart to remove the plugs.

Our hoses are double walled and are likely to last most people their entire bow building life!

thanks, bigjim
I've heard of too many home made plugs launching or losing pressure, I would get the real deal and follow Big Jim's instructions to the T, no more probs.

If it blows out OR leaks, you run the risk of a bows worth of materials being scrap....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Problem is hat Mike is in England, and their firehose may be completely different inside than American made FH.

Still, kennym is right; a set of 'made for it' plugs is probably better (and safer) than cobbled together plugs.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Draffish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
hi mike welcome to the gang hope you've solved your leaking hose
live free die young

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »
where i live its really difficult to get any supplies- and i was desperate to get building on my glass bow- and i tried some firehose we had at the shop- well...same problem- wouldnt hold air! when i tested them in the tub- i saw the entire hose was leaking water.
then i found out, that most of the hoses are designed to leak a bit in order to keep the hoses wet while doing their job around fires!!!
so it needed a special type of hose- get from jim or binghams- i am sure the shipping will not be too bad- and it will last you forever.
might as well get two while you are at it.

jim has great service- and hes right on here!!

use lots of saran wrap- dont get any glue on the hose.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 02:27:00 AM »
I've got two hose set-ups coming from binghams so it's just going top have to be patience.....
My problem is not the plugs - it's the hose I got.....Now that i've looked closely at it I can see it has lots of little grooves running parallel to it's length on the inside. It needs to be smooth on the inside as with this stuff i'm relying on the crappy hose clamps to not only clamp it onto the plug but also compress these grooves flat....this is not going to happen....really I should have known better  :(
The plugs are fine they are NOT cobbled together - no chance of them coming out, becoming bombs etc  :)  I have lots of experience using lathes and know what i'm doing but thanks for the advice.
I'm eagerly looking forward to finally gluing one of these badboys up!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©