Author Topic: 1st attept at a recurve.. an epic failure  (Read 357 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
1st attept at a recurve.. an epic failure
« on: September 28, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
So one of my sons (Conner) turns 16 on Oct 4th. I thought what better gift than a recurve that I built. I've made between 30-40 longbows, so I kind of know what I'm doing, or so I thought. I got what I thought was the right stack for two bows (in case of screw up), cut out a good looking form and proceeded to glue both bows up, as I was pressed for time a bit. Well after cutting out and thinking I had lined everything up, not only are the limbs out of alignment but I missed poundage, BAD!! I was shooting for high forties or low 50's. It came in around #30. So now I have one useless bow do to the limbs not lining up and one blank that's better suited for a 62" kids bow.

A question is can I glue another piece of fiberglass on the back to increase poundage? Or am I just out two bows worth of material?

Bottom line is Conner will be receiving my Stalker recurve, I can figure my bow situation out later.

Thanks for letting me rant   :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st attept at a recurve.. an epic failure
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
Bad luck with the weight! By my understanding, even using .030 glass on the back would increase the poundage by about 30# so you might go from one extreme to the other.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
I'd finish out that 30# for some future purpose and start over.  Should be able to calculate the correct stack off the light bow.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
Ask Sharpshooter about gluing on glass, I ground some to .020 for him I think, but don't remember the results....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny, for the pm too! I might try some glass. I worry about putting the bow back in the oven. Mabey for an hour? Thanks again!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Maybe you could cut it a little shorter and bring up the weight that way.  Otherwise, I'm sure you could find a home for it.  There are people out there who shoot 30# bows.  I made a similar booboo earlier this year.  I glued up a beautiful recurve with cedar limbs, but it came out to around 25# at 28".  I didn't have a clue how thick to make my lams since I had never done a bow on that form before, so I decided to err on the side of too light, but it came out WAY too light.  So I feel your pain.  I haven't even finished that bow.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
If you put it back in oven, reduce heat some. I've glued many pc risers together and then cooked the bow with no probs. I think bolted in the form so nothing can move you'll be ok , but I'd still lower the heat a bit.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Thanks guys!!

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Steadman I have successfully added glass to bow a couple of times to bring the weight up.  I did like Kenny said and reduced the temp in the hot box.  They are several years old now and still going strong.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
I take my hat off to you glass guys. All this thickness talk and missing weigh due to glue up give me a head ache. I think I will stick to a stick  :) . I just cut, file, scrape and yes even hack off anything that does not look like a bow I want.

Good luck would like to see it though yall do make some looooovely bows.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
Thanks Jess! Gonna try that. You know Kelly I'd love to shoot an all wood bow, I just don't have the patience to build them! I'm a longbow guy through and through bit my elbow really dislikes me shooting them  :(

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©