Author Topic: Bo Tuff - How Its Made  (Read 933 times)

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bo Tuff - How Its Made
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
I've been thinking about the roving and I think it could be a better way of doing this... I'm going to mount my form to a piece of timber, then put pegs at either end. I'll tie off a length of roving to a peg, then thread it up & down the form, around each peg, ensuring the tension remains. When I get to the end, I'll turn back and repeat for 2 or 4 layers. The weaves will cross and will be at an angle, but it'll only be 1/8" over 7 feet, so it will be minimal. Once the glass is down, I'll clamp each end with the plugs & proceed as before.

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »

Offline Elison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
Wow!!!  What a great build along!
Nezwin, you are the guy!    :)   As the fact that was your first build along, for me it was wonderful!  
Your fiberglass lam seems very nice too, if I could make in that quality, I'll be happy.  =)

Pago, your tips was very helpful too.  I couldn't read that entire article that you shared yet, but I already see that have many good things.  

I made some experiences this weekend with the epoxy resin and the cloth that I have, but I did have some difficulties.

One of that is that the resins cures too fast!  kkkkk...
I started to mix the resin and the hardener, and at first I've got a very liquid state.

But in the period that I was applying in some layers, the resin changed at a very glued state, almost a gel.

The period time of this change was about a 15 minutes. Is that normal?
My new brush turns like a stone. I tried to dissolve the resin with a kind of thinner, but didn't work.  =[

I was thinking too about how to use roving and your idea of a timber with pegs sounds great.  
One thing that I was tought in use a slingshot's rubber to make tension, something like this, but with the timber clamped in it:

Just an idea...    ;)  

Thank you guys!

You guys rocks!

Cheers!
Elison J. G. Lusvardi

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
No problem, Elison     :)   I'm just glad I can help & get this information out there. I know when I started doing this myself there were very few people able to help, so I know how it is to be in your position.

15 minutes sounds a bit quick for the resin to have gone off (that is the term used for 'setting' - you say "the resin has gone off"), I would imagine you've used a little too much activator/accelerator/hardener and/or you're working in too warm an area. You want to try to be working in an area out of direct sunlight and not too hot. Conversely, an area in direct sunlight & very hot makes a great place to cure resins & glues. My resin takes about an hour or maybe two hours to get to a 'gel' state.

I'm not sure if thinner would do the job to clean the brush, I've always used Acetone, which is like thinner but much stronger. To be honest, I always buy cheap brushes at about 50 cents each when I see them on sale. I get maybe 2 or 3 uses out of each one before I throw it away. It's the nature of the work - you'll go through a lot of brushes.

Here's my thoughts on the roving idea - it's a rough image, so apologies!

Basically, tension is made as the roving is threaded. You don't need a huge amount of tension, just enough to ensure the threads are in the same orientation and aren't loose. The pegs I imagine could be something like small nails, or wooden dowels, but nails would be quicker, easier & smaller. I would do a few layers of that threading, then apply the tensioning clamps to either end, then apply the resin. The rubber could work, but there could be a lot of problems arise from it too. I always like to try & keep things simple     :)  

I've laminated the piece of glass in the pictures above into a bow yesterday. I should be able to get it finished in a week or two, so I'll get a picture up when it's done.

Offline haklee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
Nezwin finished your bow? Is that laminated glass works well?

I have a question. What is colloidal silica and where can i get it
ratio between  epoxy and colloidal silica?

is it ok to use fiberglass cloth  prevent wood splinter and lifting?

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
The bow is finished in the sense that it delaminated and rather than fix it, I smashed the hell out of it. I tend to lose it a little when I get frustrated... My fault really, I left the Spotted Gum (local version of Hickory, or close to) lams with a planed finish, so they didn't adhere correctly. I've been playing around with bamboo backing of late, not that I've had a lot of time to commit to bowmaking! It's a shame about that bow though, because the backing came out beautifully. I've done it a few times and it always works very well but on this particular occasion it was exceptionally good. Another time, perhaps. I'm sure you'll see it up on the board here when I do.

Colloidal Silica is ground glass - an exceptionally fine white powder that when mixed with resin acts to thicken it into a glue compound with gap filling properties. It's very dangerous to work with so a respirator must be used. You should be able to source it at any good composites supplier, so wherever you get your fibreglass & resin, assuming you're not buying it from a car repair shop or something like that. I strongly recommend when buying this stuff that you go to a dedicated supplier, as opposed to a commercial shop with a few 'fibreglass packs' for fixing up holes in boats or cars, which just won't do the right job.

As far as ratio of silica to resin, that's up to you. For gluing a tri-lam, I'll mix up about 80 grams of resin (inc. hardener) and then add the colloidal silica to thicken it, adding one spoonful at a time until I'm happy with the consistency. Doing this on the scales, it works out at about 1-2 grams, which isn't much in terms of mass, but it's a fair volume. If you're using an epoxy glue, like Smooth On or something similar (you might be able to buy this at the same place you buy the resin) you won't need the silica to thicken it, it should already be thick enough. I only use the resin as a glue because it's easier than having several different products about the workshop. With the bamboo backed bows I've been making the last week or so I've been using Titebond III which I've always been happy with, especially for non-fibreglass bows.

So to sum up all those points, you don't need colloidal silica for making just the lam. If you're making just the lam, you only need the resin. You should be able to get colloidal silica at a dedicated composite materials supplier and if you do use it to mix with resin into a glue, I add a spoonful at a time until I'm happy. For 80 grams it's about 3-5 spoonfuls, which is about 1-2 grams.

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
And as far as fibreglass cloth is concerned, sure, go ahead. It'll work in the same was as any other cloth backing and will, after thousands and thousands of shots, eventually fail, but it's easy to use & very durable. The only point I'd stress is that even though it's fibreglass and it's used as a backing, it's not a fibreglass bow... By using 1 or 2 layers of cloth (I assume you mean cross-weave cloth in this regard, not unidirectional cloth that I've demonstrated above) applied directly to the back of the bow it won't be doing any 'work' when the bow is drawn, it will only be stopping splinters lifting.

Offline haklee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Thank you for your kind reply

Here in Korea there is not much bow building meterial. I can buy epoxy or bo tuff on 3rivers archery or bingham but shipping charge is expensive and delivery period is too long.  Besides I like diy.

I want to laminate  fiberglass lam and wood lam. I don't have smooth on. I have just normal epoxy resin. Do i need Colloidal Silica?

you said Colloidal Silica makes resin thick and get gap filling properties. Why thickening resin? what is gap filling? what's the advantage of gap filling and thickening?

what is the difference between bow making resin(like smooth on) and normal epoxy resin? concentration(thick)  and gap filling?

so your bow delaminated but fiberglass itself works well?

Offline haklee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
And I don't have ud cloth but i have single loving
how about make fiberglass lam like this?

this is compound bow limb but if you see 1:50

they wind up single loving with resin on the frame and press.  i want to make this wood
what do you think?

Offline haklee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »

Offline haklee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Colloidal Silica and aerosil or fumed silica is same?
                 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=000148                

in the link someone says Laminating fiberglass to wood it can be used without thickeners, but for wood to wood I would use one of the above agents to prevent gaps. is that true?

and what about epoxy bendability or flexibility?
i find westsystem g-flex epoxy

650-8 G/flex Epoxy
A toughened, versatile, liquid epoxy for permanent waterproof bonding of fiberglass, ceramics, metals, plastics, damp and difficult-to-bond woods. With a modulus of elasticity of 150,000 PSI, it is a bit more flexible than standard epoxies and polyester, but much stiffer than adhesive sealants. This gives G/flex 650 the ability to make structural bonds that can absorb the stress of expansion, contraction, shock and vibration. It is ideal for bonding dissimilar materials. It can be modified with West System fillers and additives, and used to wet-out fiberglass tapes and fabrics. Mixed at a 1:1 ratio, G/flex 650 gives you 45 minutes of working time at room temperature. It reaches an initial cure in 7 to 10 hrs and full cure in 24 hrs. Click for photo. (8 fl. oz. / 236 mL)

i think this epoxy has good properties for bow making  if i add sillica on normal epoxy can i make epoxy like g-flex? i heard filler like sillica only increase the viscosity. sillica does other things? except thickening and gap filling properties?

talc is cheaper than sillica can i use talc?

how about milled fiber glass?                            
in the video he says milled fiberglass give epoxy strength and flexbility

you said fiberglass cloth won't be doing any 'work' when the bow is drawn, it will only be stopping splinters lifting. but when I added fiberglass cloth, draw weight increased. it just increase draw weight and not increase arrow speed(elasticity)?

you said prestress fiberglass but it looks just straight fiber. pre stress means just lay fiberglass straight? no need to pull or stretch fiberglass strongly? just put fibers straight is enough?  something like prestressed concrete?(rodlonq said) or just  to hold fibers in the correct plane as the resin is poured(hunterguy1991 said)   http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14869

most of fiberglass lam is unidirectional but i saw  fiberglass lam(Gordon Bo-Tuff E Glass ULS - A continuous unidirectional "E" fiberglass laminate combined with a 50/50 woven fiberglass inlay (scrim) that has high strength and stiffness along the longitudinal (0) axis and provides cross strength (90 degrees to the longitudinal axis). Available in .043 & .050 clear, .040 & .050 black & brown, and .60" black. Sanded 1 side.       http://www.gordoncomposites.com/products/TDS/GC-70-ULS.pdf    
and
Uni-Weft Glass - A continuous unidirectional "E" fiberglass laminate with 90 degree fiberglass inlay. This combination not only gives high strength and stiffness along the longitudinal (0) axis but also provides cross strength and stiffness 90 degrees to the longitudinal axis. It provides increased limb stability where thin or narrow limb design is used, with the addition of a color stripe through the limb when red or black is used, as viewed from the edge of the bow. Available in red, black, and natural. Sanded 2 Sides.)  that add  fiberglass inlay 90 degree to improve torsional rigidity. but in the link here
       http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14869      
the woven glass tended to break down due to the friction of the crossed woven fibres against one another resulting in the fibres being severed

what is correct?  use only woven fiber cause friction but mix ud fiberglass and woven fiberglass is ok?

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
Sorry for the delayed reply, have been having eye surgery and have been partially blinded for a week or two.

Okay, so you've asked a lot of questions and raised a lot of points, I'll do my best to get through them one by one.

"Here in Korea there is not much bow building meterial" - you have plenty of good material in korea! Korea has one of the oldest & strongest archery traditions in the world, I wouldn't discount your local bamboo & timber combinations available.

"Do i need Colloidal Silica?"
"Why thickening resin? what is gap filling? what's the advantage of gap filling and thickening?"

The silica just acts to thicken the resin, otherwise the resin is too thin (like water) and will flow out of the joint. For a long time I didn't use silica and it still worked, but I had a higher failure rate. Gap filling properties refer to the epoxy filling gaps between the surfaces, whether at a micron level or up to fractions of an inch. It just helps the bond make up for any imperfections (even at a very, very tiny size) in your preparation.

"what is the difference between bow making resin(like smooth on) and normal epoxy resin? concentration(thick) and gap filling?"  
There is many, many different epoxy resins out there, Smooth On is just one - one that is very strong & very thick/goo-ey. The thickness/goo-eyness is what gives it the gap filling properties. Epoxy Resin tends to be stronger than Polyester Resin, which I wouldn't advise using. While Smooth On is a great product, it's not easy to get everywhere in the world while other epoxies are. Generally speaking, any epoxy compound should be good enough to used at some level, but for high end bows make sure you've experimented with the compound previously. To make it clearer, the difference between an epoxy resin and an epoxy glue is really only the viscosity/thickness/goo-eyness.

"how about make fiberglass lam like this?"
This is, basically, similar to the way I outlined using roving in the post on page 2 with the bad MS Paint picture. I would strongly suggest that if all you have is roving, you give that a try. If I had access to roving easily, I would probably be doing it that way.

Colloidal Silica and aerosil or fumed silica is same?
They fulfill the same purpose in this application, but they're not the same.

in the link someone says Laminating fiberglass to wood it can be used without thickeners, but for wood to wood I would use one of the above agents to prevent gaps. is that true?
Yes, it's basically what I've been saying through this entire thread.

and what about epoxy bendability or flexibility?
It's not the epoxy doing the work, it's the fibreglass & wood. The epoxy is just the glue. Bear in mind that, for bowmaking, the 'flexibility' and 'bendability' are not a big deal, this is more for the aeronautical industry with huge bending wings and things like that.

talc is cheaper than sillica can i use talc?
Maybe? I'm not an expert, I've just experimented with a few things and have some experience in some other industries. I would say it should probably work for this application.

how about milled fiber glass?
This is colloidal silica. Silica = glass, colloidal = ground up very small.

in the video he says milled fiberglass give epoxy strength and flexbility
Kinda, sorta. Yes and no. There's a lot of other variables.

you said fiberglass cloth won't be doing any 'work' when the bow is drawn, it will only be stopping splinters lifting. but when I added fiberglass cloth, draw weight increased. it just increase draw weight and not increase arrow speed(elasticity)?
You've increased the second moment of area of the limb, so yes, you've increased the draw weight. Does this increase the draw weight as much as a proper prestressed lam? No. You could create a limb using only cloth & resin by building up layers of cloth impregnated resin and it would work. When I used the term "Work" in my original post I was referring to "Structural Work", which is an engineering term.  

you said prestress fiberglass but it looks just straight fiber. pre stress means just lay fiberglass straight? no need to pull or stretch fiberglass strongly? just put fibers straight is enough? something like prestressed concrete?(rodlonq said) or just to hold fibers in the correct plane as the resin is poured(hunterguy1991 said)
Prestressing means the fibreglass is straight and all in the same direction. It also means that any slack, or looseness, in the fibre is taken up already so that when it is put under load (as the limb bends) it immediately begins storing energy efficiently, like prestressed concrete. Basically, it's what they both said.

what is correct? use only woven fiber cause friction but mix ud fiberglass and woven fiberglass is ok?
A mixture of the two is better than only using woven cloth, but unidirectional on its own would be preferable. To be honest, using fibreglass cloth directly on the timber as a backing is as efficient as using drywall tape, or brown paper bags, or silk, or linen, or something like that. Even rawhide, maybe. The guy who said "the woven glass tended to break down due to the friction of the crossed woven fibres against one another resulting in the fibres being severed" is correct, but you'd need to shoot the now several hundred thousand times for it to be an issue. He tends to have a very high standard for bow construction, despite not building bows himself. He is also very interested in very fine details, which is great for him, but very different to my approach of just getting the job done and learning new techniques.

Going through your posts you seem to be getting a lot of stuff very confused and mixed up. While this composites stuff isn't real easy, it's not real hard either. I do appreciate that English is not your first language though.

If you want to understand about why to prestress the fibreglass do some research into prestressed concrete - the idea of a matrix of concrete/resin and steel/fibreglass are the same principles. Look at some engineering texts or websites on this.

Don't get hung up (a phrase in english that means "interested too much" or "focused a lot") on the details. Ultimately, all these ideas will work, it's just a matter of how well and with what finish at the end. The best advice I can give you is to buy some materials and start experimenting. Or do an Engineering degree. It's cheaper to buy the materials though.

You should also read  www.poorfollbows.com.  While Sam Harper doesn't make his own fibreglass lams and the only epoxy he uses is smooth-on, his approach to bow building and way of thinking about what he is doing will teach you a lot about how to move forward with your own bow building. I strongly advise you start with something simple, like a simple board bow, and move up to more complicated bows with fibreglass and wood lams, or bamboo backings after you've got the basic skills & understanding of how a bow works correct.

Offline haklee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
Sorry for may bad English. I can't express exactly what I want to say...and thank you for reply.  

you mean poorfolkbows.com?  I know that site already. I learned lot's of information from that site.

By the way I found interesting information about making fiberglass lam  on russian archery forum

http://www.bowmania.ru/forum/index.php?board=24.0      
you need register

http://www.bowmania.ru/forum/index.php?topic=1480.0      
I used russian translator

http://www.youtube.com/user/vasilenkoivanv/videos      
youtube videos
part1 - part5
In part2  1:40 he mix something on epoxy resin.what do you think it is? It looks like thinner(acetone?) to me. If it is thinner i have question. thinner makes epoxy resin weaker?

he made many bow with his own fiberglas lam

http://www.bowmania.ru/forum/index.php?topic=7029.msg206104#msg206104  

http://www.bowmania.ru/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=5140;sa=showPosts  

and this is other question. do you know what is set and string follow?
I searched on the forum but i can't understand exactly. it seems that people has different definition. and why using these terms? what for?

Offline Kevin Brooker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
Interesting thread and I have a bit to add. I have made up pre-stressed carbon laminates for building a  bow. I really like the look of 90-90 weave set on a bias and know it adds almost nothing to the performance of the bow. It does add torsional rigidity to the limbs but the resistance to bending along the limb is minimal.

What I did was add CF rovings. The bits were laminated on a waxed glass door to get the smooth look. The rovings were stretched on a jig made from wood with two combs attached to turnbuckles, One comb at either end of the jig and each comb had two turnbuckles. The combs were three rows of finish nails offset to keep the rovings aligned with minimal gaps between threads. The rovings (tow) was 12k.

The weave was braid I slit into a single flat width which was laid down on the glass and wet out. Next, the jig was set into place so the stretched tow was on top of the open braid. The next layer was release film, breather cloth to soak up excess resin and allow the vacuum to be even. The breather also acted as a barrier to keep the edges from piercing the 4 mil. plastic drop cloth used to cover everything. The 4 mil. plastic was held onto the glass door with low grade caulk to seal it in. The vac hose just ran under the 4 mil. The vac held to 22" hg. until the resin (West) was cured. After cure the lam was ripped into1.75" strips using an abrasive cutoff wheel. It came out pretty good and has not yet been used on the bow. Still making the press and will fill you in when it is done.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
It would be nice to see some pics of your setup. Sounds very intresring.
High on Archery.

Offline Kevin Brooker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
After the press is built I'll lay up another set of the CF pieces and take photos. The setup is cumbersome as it involves a full sized sliding glass door and my shop is really small.

Offline Elison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Hi guys!!

Let me re-open this ancient thread to show my experiences with fiberglass...

Your help was really decisive.    :)  

My work its still not good. Some times I have bubbles in the strips other times dry spots, but with time and experience I think could be better.

Let me show a strip that I've made with unidirectional carbon:

And here, I shred the bi-directional cloth to get unidirectional fiberglass and I did a bow with it (picture and build-along in video):

Here is one way that I did:

Hope you like...    ;)  

Cheers!
Elison J. G. Lusvardi

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 01:40:00 AM »
I'm assuming you've made bows before? Because that is a really, really well made takedown bow there... Good job!

As far as your laminates are concerned, they seem to be pretty effective. You've certainly got a fairly good finish on your outward facing (ie, back) side of the laminate, that side being the most important for uniformity.

I see you haven't tensioned your carbon - this shouldn't be a problem, as carbon is far less elastic than glass and the way you've made it should have similar properties to using tensioned glass. Or similar enough that I wouldn't worry about it. If you were to use glass I would recommend tensioning it before applying the resin. Also, you might want to aim for a thicker laminate, which would require using more resin in a form with sides to it (so the resin doesn't flow away). The thicker the laminate, the more work the composite materials do.

What's the rest of the bow? They're very nice timbers and you've done a really neat job with it. I'm very impressed!

Offline Elison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Thanks Neil...    :)  

Yes, I did some bow before, but only english longbows or wood bows... without fiberglass.
I'm working in another one now for me: A recurve with reverse riser.
This one will use the carbon ( those in the video and photo ) as a core-limb to reduce limb weight and get a bit more speed.    :)  
In the backing and belly I plan use fiberglass ( Gordon's fiberglass - I have a couple waiting for use )    :)  

So I'll need sand the both of sides of carbon's strips to glue well.

Take a quick look

Riser:

Form:

Limbs:

I didn't used a form this time with Carbon, but in the take-down I made in the same way as you explained.  I put the fiberglass in a iron mold with 'U' format with clamps in the tips.    :)  

I used in riser a wood called here: "Peroba Vermelha"
Link:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goupia_glabra  

And in the limbs: Jatobá;  
Edge: Jatobá + Grapia
  http://grapia.mmcparket.com/grapia-en.htm  

Grapia is a very good wood for limbs too...    :)
Elison J. G. Lusvardi

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
G'Day TDonald, your question isn't really within the 'Trad' remit but I'm sure no-one will object.

I've never gone thicker than 1/8" for my lams, nor have I tried using multiple lams in a stack. Doesn't mean you can't though.

The simple equation would be to multiple all my quantities by a factor of 6 (for a 3/4" limb) and lay up in the same manner I do, but I've a feeling it would come out a little thin. That would also be 24 layers of glass cloth, all pretensioned, which could be laborious to say the least. You could use chopped mat in the centre, potentially, as this would bulk out the space between the outer sections (where the work is really done) but I'm not sure I'd want to take a risk with that quantity of material, to be honest. Another option would be to use a flexible core material with high shear strength, but I'm not sure that would be 'compound traditional' - I don't know a whole lot about how they're made. Whatever you do you'll want to use a dye in your resin - at that thickness you won't get a good looking, clear product.

Hope that helps! Your undertaking an ambitious project... I hope you've used composites before...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©