Author Topic: snakey yew bow  (Read 585 times)

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
snakey yew bow
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
hi guys with your help I finished my snakey osage bow and it came out great.Now I'm doing a snakey yew longbow and was wondering how important it is to get all the cambrium off the sap wood were it is in the troughs if I have to remove all of it I will have to take off 3 layers of sap wood and so far I haven't violated the sap wood rings.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: snakey yew bow
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
Yew is one bow wood that can handle some grain violation on the back. I would guess a little cambium wouldn't hurt anything. Most yew has such thin growth rings that it is almost impossible to not violate the sapwood some.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
If looking at the cross section of a Yew stave it sometimes has very tiny riples or waves between the bark and sapwood. Instead of violating the sapwood's outer ring I leave some of the brown stuff on,makes a nice decoration. If some of it wants to come off it will do so when you start to bend the bow. If the sapwood have an acceptable thickness I start bending the stave without taking off the bark, it usually pops off or can be gently pried off and leaves a perfect surface without any scraping. It sounds kind of scary because the bark cracks like the stave is breaking. Even though Yew can have very thin year rings I find it easy to get the bark off without violating a ring, if you have to scrape it. Patience and good lighting is the thing. Bue--.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
I thought there was an optimum ratio of sapwood to heartwood for a yew bow? I'm about to start a great old yew stave, but it has 3/8" or more of sapwood and I'm pretty sure I need to thin that down a bit beyond the cambium layer. Just not sure how far.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
What style bow are you building, David?  You can probably leave more sapwood on an ELB style than a flat bow because of the limb thickness.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
thanks Bue the stave I'm working on has close to 1 " humps in it besides snakey side to side and it took me 3 days to get were I'm at if this bow turns out I'll be surprised.

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
I was going to ask how flexible is deer raw hide and how thin should I scrape it down to

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Deer rawhide is excellent bow backing. It I already thin so all you have to do is glue it down.
 Will you post pics of your yew stave? It will help us help you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I don't know how to post pictures if someone can tell me how I will try

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 02:08:00 AM »
Put your pictures on photobucket and just copy and paste the 'direct link' into your message.

I would also just leave the cambium and let it pop off when tillering.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
What style bow are you building, David?  You can probably leave more sapwood on an ELB style than a flat bow because of the limb thickness.
I haven't completely decided. Toying with an ELB, but feeling more comfortable going with something a bit flatter (closer to a Hill style.) Either way, I think there's a target ratio of sapwood to heartwood. I was thinking somewhere around 25%, but I've got no basis for that guess. I doubt I want to leave the full thickness on even an ELB as I'm not looking to go 100+ pounds with it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
I have made quite a few Yew bows in my time and have found that a 50/50 ratio or even more sapwood at the nocks is quite acceptable . I have made ELBs with 2/3 of sapwood at the nock ends. I once made a light  Yew semi flat bow with all sapwood(the stave had an inch of sapwood) it shot just fine. Of course it looks very attractive with a 1/4 to 1/3 of sapwood, but I have not found it necessary to be so.  I have only used the European Yew (Taxus Baccata ) I do not think the American Yew (Taxus Brevifola ) is much different. Bue--. (Smart ass)   :)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
Thanks Bue.

I think when I get a chance to get started this winter, I'll post a build-along and get input there instead of hijacking other peoples' threads. (Sorry Craig)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
I have no idea what a photo bucket is or how to paste pictures to it

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
hey guys I have another question my bow I'm making has a trough in the middle of the limb from side to side the edges of the limb are the same so do I need to make a hump in the belly in the middle of the limb in reference to the sides it's far enough from the tip that I'm still trying to keep a rectangular shape

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
I've got the bow on the tillering tree and it's starting to come around but one limb has a 1 1/2" kick towards the belly just from following the grain I was wondering if I could use dry heat to try and straighten it? It's in the last 8" from the tip

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
google "photobucket"
get signed up
download your pics from your hard drive to photo bucket, and then copy the address from photobucket to the forum- very brief explanation!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
google "photobucket"
get signed up
download your pics from your hard drive to photo bucket, and then copy the address from photobucket to the forum- very brief explanation!
try this thread
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=75;t=000478#000004

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
thanks guy's I posted pic's under posting pic's on bowyers bench

Offline arrowhead archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic: