Author Topic: router forms  (Read 348 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
router forms
« on: October 05, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
Well I done did it.

My pattern bit is here.  I have a chunk of micro lam.

Thought we had a good form a long on doing this on here, but I'm either whizzing past it or just not finding it.  Any one got a good one?  Do's don'ts?

I have Kenny's plans and a bingham kit ready to roll.  A few more crazy weeks at work and I'll be ready to get it cut and prepped.  I really need to find a "normal" job LOL!  Does that even exist?

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: router forms
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
i know kenny had a really good form build a long on here somewhere- very detailed...just not seeing it today- maybe e-mail the fella.
wayne

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
It's on his web site if it is still up.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Sorry, when I shut the site down, I forgot that the computer the pics were on had shot craps! So its all gone.

I am kickin a different bow style around in my mind, so later this winter, I could do a form build.....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I'm one of the guys you chew out when your power goes out   ;)  .   ok ok, just kidding hopefully lol.  I do work in a power plant though.   12 hour swing shifts, plus OT and a shift change the next couple of weeks.  

Than VACATION! WOOT WOOT.  Now if I could only decide.  Geese, ghost deer, along with fly fishing trout....options   ;)  .  When they increased excess baggage, they painted my face on the price list LOL!  What I pay to chase deer you could do a bou hunt on!

Thanks for posting the links.

I did some digging last night and find one of Kennys on here.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=054410

I'm curious if you're running a pin to keep the template even?  

I need to dig out my bowyers journals I thought there was one in there as well.

Ok, back to work, lol.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
The newer version has a template the exact shape of the back of the bow, you use a pattern bit on it instead of a straight bit. Saves doing the offset for the template.

You put a screw in on bow centerline first, then screw the rest of the template to the form. Then flip the template endo and put the screw on center back in same hole before the other screws.

You make the template go an inch past center and rout part way out on that last inch.Before tightening the screws down after flipping template, make sure the templae and the part past center are aligned(with all screws started) and clamp the template to form so it doesn't move. Now tighten all screws and rout away.

Be careful not to tip the router as it wil make dips on the lower part of the form!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
I remember the template, was a bit confused when I first saw this one last night, and have the pattern bit as well stashed away ready to roll.  

Need to find a little time off (and an extra set of hands, my bandsaws not exactly big for infeed out feed area) to play in the garage, still have the scooter to put up for winter before I can really get going.  It has been snowing now for the last 4 or so days.  Hasn't amounted to much, maybe an inch or two.  Winters on!

I'm curious why you don't use the cut off (top) portion of the form to help stabilize the router to make the cut?

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
you can attach a bigger pad to the bottom of the router- to really help stabilise it on the half that you are cutting on.
 to use the top half might be tough getting it all lined up and square once you have cut it off- dont know that i would trust  the now loose top, to ensure a good square cut on the bottom edge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©