3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me pick my arrows. Newbie help!  (Read 659 times)

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me pick my arrows. Newbie help!
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Hello all...I am new to traditional archery (I've been bowhunting for about 16 years).  I have a JD Berry Renaissance on the way. Specs are 47 lbs. at 28.  I'll be shooting at 26.5 inches. I am open to both aluminum and carbon.  My arrows should probably be 27 inches, correct?  I'll be matching it to Silver Flame heads in the 125 gr. variety...again, sound correct?  Thanks in advance for your advice and help to a newbie.     ;)  

Red

BTW: any thoughts on this bow...did I make a good choice?
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me pick my arrows. Newbie help!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
P.S.  I am thinking about Gold Tip Traditional XT's in 3355 and 27 inches.  Does this sound about right?  Thanks again.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Red Boar,
   I would go a bit stiffer than that.  Everyone has their own preferance, but I like a stiff, heavy shaft.  I used to shoot Gold Tip 5575 w/ weight tubes for added punch and had success w/ them the past couple years.  Just recently I switched to Easton Axis shafts and have had great luck w/ their smaller diameter.  They penatrate fantastic.  If you have the option, I would shoot a couple different shafts and see which one flies best and which one YOU like best.  Have fun and keep up posted.

Timothy

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Thanks, Timothy.  Talk to me a little about broadhead weight.  I am used to shooting compounds with 100gr broadheads, but it seems traditional guys go significantly heavier.  What weight would be a good match for 5575's at 27.  Thanks!
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
I don't think that I would go with the 5575's, I think that they would be too stiff for the setup that you are shooting. I am going to assume that you will be shooting around 40 lbs at 26.5 inches, I would keep my arrows at least and inch longer than that myself as well. If you want your arrows kept in the 27-28 inch range I think the 3555's will work, you will just have to play with point weight to find your sweet spot. Personally I would probably start with 30 inch shafts with your 125 grain heads and bare shaft tune them. Keep cutting a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of shaft until you get them flying like darts. If you get them down to 27.5 inches and they are still too stiff you will then need to add point weight (brass inserts, steel broadhead adapters, etc.) until you find the correct stiffness.

There is no 1 cut and dry answer to which arrow/length/weight will work best with a particular setup, you need to do a little trial and arrow to find that perfect sweet spot... but when you do find it, it is a beautiful thing  :thumbsup:  

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
Red,
I shoot a JD Berry 65# at 27". My arrow's are GT 55/75 cut to 29" with 145gr. tip and 3-5 1/2 sheild feathers. Bare shaft's perfect.
I would recommend as Tim said above getting a test kit from one of the various venders here before buying a full dozen.
Like above all depends are each individual shooter and how clean a release and type of bow they shoot.
I like to use atleast 1" clearance for broadheads.
The reason for heavier heads is penetration. Longbows and recurves for the most part shoot under 200fps usually around 180fps with shots under 20 yds, hopefully 10yds.
Compounds shoot most well over 250fps upwards towards 300fps with some guys shooting out to 40 yards so almost any arrow/broadhead combo you shoot will pass thru on a good hit at 20 yards.
For a fellow JD Berry shooter, email me ya addy and I'll send ya a 55/75 shaft to try. I think it should start out good for ya at 29" to cut down as needed.
Jim
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys...am I really going to lose a full 7#'s of draw weight at 26.5?  Did I buy too light?  I want to use bow to hunt deer/hogs.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
Sounds about right. 3 to 4#'s per inch. Have you've put in on a bow scale?
Most importantly can you handle the weight OK?
Shot placement is evrything.
Deer should not be an issue issue.
Hog? How big? LOL. Others will answer you best.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Thanks,Jim.  It hasn't been on the scale. I don't actually have it in my hands yet.  Just sent the money today. I am used to shooting my compound at 67 lbs., so I am guessing the weight won't be a problem.  Hogs in my area can go as big as 250.  Thanks for the reassurance.  125 or 150 gr. head?  I shoot Silver Flames.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Did you have your draw lenght measured with a stick bow or compound? Might make a big difference. Hap

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
47#@28"x26.5 draw-4.5#s=42.5#s=2012 x7 eclipse cut to 28 1/4 with 125 grain point.jm2pennys worth.  :thumbsup:    :archer:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Hey twotimer...thanks for the response.  Not familiar with the x7 eclipse. Okay for hunting?

My actual draw length for compound is 27.75.  Not sure how that relates to stick bow length. No archery shops in my area.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
I would go with cedars, blunts, target points, and glue on broadheads. Expensive to buy and cheaper to make yourself.  If you have been a compound shooter learn the art of stump shooting.  It is something that i have a hard time doing with carbon, but an easy time doing it with cedar.  you don't need the most expensive fletcher a single jojan will work.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
twotimer...no 2012's listed on Easton site.  Did you mean 2212's?  You like this arrow for hunting?
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
That sounds close to my usual setup, though I just got a bow that pulls a bit more.

You might try a 1916 aluminum cut 27 to 27 1/2" with the 125 grain head. If you want to move to a heavier arrow for more penetration, a 2016 with a45-175 grain points may do the trick.

You got a source for try-em-out arras?
Killdeer  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
No source for try-em-out arrows. I was considering  28 inch 1916's with a 150 gr. Silver Flame.  Sounds like maybe I should move up to 2016's.  Whatchathink?
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
Why don't I send you a couple-three arras? PM me your address.

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Wow, nice offer Killdeer.  This is truly a friendly site.  Can't wait for my bow to arrive so that I am an "official" member.    ;)
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Aw, ya just caught me in a weak moment. Stuff happens. Just don't tell anybody.

Killdeer  :knothead:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
dont go 5575 infact Id stay away from gold tip , its crappie arrow in my opinion...Axis , carbon express , of beman mfx would be better choice ...good luck mark#78...Ive worked in bow shop , I had more problems with GOLD TIP arrows.
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©