Author Topic: 3 piece guys, got a question  (Read 261 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
3 piece guys, got a question
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
So I'm thinking I would really like to try my hand at a 3 piece recurve. I love the look of the limbs being on the belly of the riser like on a Black Widow PCH take down or the timber ghost.
All the build alongside I've seen done so far have the limbs on the back side of the riser and I'm curious how you go about cutting out and perfectly squaring the pockets for the limbs? And how does one pick the angle of the pocket or pad for the limbs?

Also do I need any special tools to build a 3 piece vs. a one piece
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 piece guys, got a question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
some of the bow manufactures, what you see are made on cnc machines
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 piece guys, got a question
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Lay out your block so that you cut limb pads to center. You end up with a v. Pads are longer than what you need at this point. Square them as you do
on a front loader. On these bow you find that the
deepest part of the grip is forward of limb pads. Thats why you can cut them thru to center.
After you face pads and drill holes you can add
more wood for recess effect.

The angle of pads is something only you can figure out by trial and error unless you copy known geometry.

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©