Author Topic: Streaky clear glass.  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Streaky clear glass.
« on: October 12, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
As of late there is a widespread problem of bowywers getting streaky glass from Gordons through vendors such as Binghams. I will post the contacts at Gordons for those who would like to inquire about the problem. If you do this use a professional approach for best results. Maybe if there is enough complaints we might get something going. In my opinion it is a quality control issue

Gordon Composites, Inc.
2350 Air Park Way
Montrose, CO 81401
Phone: (970) 240-4460
Fax: (970) 240-2853

Drew Reed
Customer Service
970-240-2248 Direct Line
[email protected]

Rob Loveland, P.E.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
970-240-2234 Direct Line
[email protected]
High on Archery.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Streaky clear glass.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
Don't buy the 2nd quality clear glass and something will change.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
Hard not to buy the Gordon glass especially when you can't 'sight' the stuff before you buy and there isn't any viable alternative .   :knothead:    :shaka:   My latest recurve has slight streaks in the clear. Hard to explain to a customer its part of the deal.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
As bad as it is right now it is still the best out there.
High on Archery.

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
You could always try your hand at making your own... Really makes you appreciate how easy it is to buy the stuff!

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=012125;p=2

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
One solution I've found for clear glass is if you warm up the glue and fiberglass in the heat oven first, and really force the smooth - on epoxy into the sanded side in a vigorous circular motion it minimizes the problem.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
Great info Mike! And Mike!   :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 12:06:00 AM »
JamesV, I think you are correct. If we quit buying the glass, they will just quit making it. I doubt they could keep up with the demands of their other glass requirements anyway meaning the compound guys.

bigJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 04:47:00 AM »
If they did completely quit making glass for the traditional community, that would create a void that would be quickly filled by possibly a new start-up company that would build quality glass. If the traditional guys don't buy enough glass from them to up-grade and produce a quality product, then they should get out of that sector and build good glass for the guys that they are making big bucks off of.

This applies to ANY company producing a product. If you can't do it right, get out of the way and let someone else do it.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
I doubt they are standing in the way of another company doing it. The amount of equipment it takes to build glass would be staggering if you didn't already own it.
The glass quality has come and gone over the years and this too will get better. There equipment has been around for a long time. I'm sure they must weigh the costs vs. benefits in re vamping.

Your missing the point. If there aren't enough trad glass sales to justify fixing there equipment, why would anyone else want to make that  investment even If the new comer got all of the sales.

you assume they are getting rich because of the cost of glass. If that was true, some one else would step in. Besides, if they spend a million replacing and upgrading, it will show in the cost of their glass. What would you say if the price went up $3 per piece?
Bear Paw does a good job of copying  every traditional item on the market and they sell for less (mostly using oriental labor on the cheap stuff) yet they can't make the glass where it is even close in quality. Want to apreciate the quality of Gordon clear glass? build one bow using the Bear Paw glass.
bigJim

Offline leftyfred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
One thing I would like to point out in Gordon's defense, (or maybe prosecution), they went almost 24 months with little or no issues.  Gordon's fiberglass from the spring of 2012 until the spring of 2014 was the best quality they have ever made on a consistent basis.  The downfall for us was this spring.  We have identified 13 different boxes of glass with defect, all from production periods dated this year.  Gordon's has the ability to make streak free glass, they have proven that with their 2 year run of good glass.  This cannot be luck, I would encourage them to do better, they have the ability.  LF

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
I've actually had good results this year with the clear glass.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
I guess it's a good thing I've started to grow fond of colored glass.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
I can't say that I have gone a month without streaky glass...at least a few pieces. Yes, it was better, but it was still there.

I really haven't seen all that much that was so incredible offensive to start an exile. Not much has changed but a few ups and downs.

bigjim

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
I really cant complain until this last batch of about 20 strips and it is all streaked to some degree. Maybe I got spoiled.

High on Archery.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
My last two bows were bad. I am having a hard time ordering glass, it left a sour taste with me, to take beautiful veneers and have it so streaky....besides it hunting season so I have a little time but I do have three I need to build just a little glass shy at this point..
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
crooked stik, I have not seen glass that streaked ever. but then, I've rarely seen a clean one either.

bigjim

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »
I decided to email the company and received word that they are endeavoring to rectify the problems.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
I wish some bowyers would get together...sounds like a great time to start a glass buiz with the attitude of Gordon.

Heck.....I might even be interested in investing.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
According to my source approximately June of 2014 a run of clear glass got past quality control that should never have gone to market.  It is floating around out there in some places.  Gordon is trying to improve their quality all the time.  Some runs are better than others.  Some are near perfect.  But none are or ever will be as bad as that run that should have been destroyed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©