Author Topic: one piece static tip build a long - full draw! finished! tested!  (Read 2632 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: one piece static tip build a long - full draw! finished! tested!
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
Unstrung

Strung

About 14" of tip movement to brace, this bow is no joke.
70#@29" sounds about right. I measured 60# right at 26".

Anyway you can see the testing has already begun, shot the first few arrows through her today and it's definately got some cast!
Can't wait to do ALOT more shooting with this bow, and turkey season is right around the corner. Can't imagine a better bow to shoot from a hunting blind.

In case you haven't figured it out, Wayne decided what this overweight bow needed was someone who wasn't going to draw her so dang far! So without warning this baby arrived at my door with instruction to "shoot the crap out of it" and give some honest feedback. Couldn't be more stoked.
Hopefully more testing and pics to come.

Currently plotting how to determine the expected gains in speed with decreasing tip mass .... That is without actually having to figure out HOW to reduce tip mass ...

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
Great bow!  Mark's first prototype ended up here, cause it needed a longer draw to bring out its beastly side (which it did!)  Easiest way to get thin tips is laminated 'boo, I think.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
(Quote from Pat B on the other forum)

It's in the bowyer's bible 1
   On my bows I leave the tips thick(ending up with 1/2" or just under) but narrow them to 3/8" or less. Wood thickness is 8 times stronger  than wood width so you can eliminate lots of physical weight by keeping them narrow but deep.     Pat

My tip belly is 1/2" wide taper to 3/16" at the nock
My tip backs is 1/8"ish wide for most of the tip
My tip thickness is around 1/2". my tips are much longer than that Recurve from Fujimo
phenolic and fiber glass are heavyer than wood
so I use sitka spruce as much as possible

This tip is not completely finished, the last 2" will be tapered more.

Not having string groves AT the nock you can make it narrow
My string loop is 2" long and there is a hint of a string groove half way between the nock and the bridge

ALL OF THAT TOGETHER MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Because of my shoulder, My goal is to make a low poundage bow that is fast.

A 25# @ 28" bow shooting 170/180 FPS with 10 grains per pound.
I can hunt   :)
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
My need for speed has become an obsession.

I'am making a one piece now with more reflex than my others. Center shot makes it better too.

Just how fast is the fastest Traditional bow???????????????????????????
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
Ben, i got a lot of info from Mark while i was building this bow, the main difference between what he did on his first bows and what i did was- he put his spruce on as overlays, and i put mine in the core- kinda like a tip wedge- on steroids    :D    i considered trapping the back of the tips very aggressively like Mark did, but my real concern was then i would be narrowing the back glass too much- and would lose structural integrity. where as with the overlays, the spruce could be trapped hard- and there would still be significant back glass remaining.
just my interpretation!
as i said, the phenolic could go a bit thinner if needed- that was the only phenolic i had- in hindsight- i should have put it through the thickness sander, and thinned it down a bit- but it does make for more material for the longitudinal string groove along the belly.

maybe the way to go is like mark did, the asian way- with a more positive nock tip, and no side nocks, and bigger loops on the string. i wonder what that would do to the performance- because one would have a slightly lower brace height for the same braced profile- with the string sitting down the statics a little ways

my fear with the tips getting too narrow was twisting and stability- i only used plain ul glass- no bi-axial or even uls. just what i had.
cheers
wayne

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
is your draw more like 26" , if so you could trap the entire bow to drop a smidge of weight if you needed too.
or you could just cut it lengthwise down the center- make two kids bows, and send one to Roy   :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2015, 03:47:00 AM »
:biglaugh:     :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
I see I need to make a road trip with a can of whoop A$$...  :)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »

:campfire:
watch out bob, yer in the poo now- fer laughing!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
you get up here ol fella, an we will go an catch some real fish- none of that puddling yunz do.   :)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
WOW!
Guess I missed this one.
Very cool looking bow....those shorties do have a scary bend to em..sheesh..lol

Really like the woods too.
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©