Author Topic: Question About Glass Bow Lam Thickness  (Read 249 times)

Offline Japes4

• Trad Bowhunter
Question About Glass Bow Lam Thickness
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
I was just wondering if it matters what the difference in thickness for tapered lams is as long as you are getting your proper overall stack height and taper?  For example, would a .002 taper of .100" and a .001 taper of .080" be acceptable to achieve a .003 total taper and .18" stack height for tapers, or should I adjust these thicknesses?
"...there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of a bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun."

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question About Glass Bow Lam Thickness
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
The 001/inch taper should be thin enough to bend up the riser..070 bends better than 080, if your ramps are not too aggressive 080 could work but I usually go no thicker than 070 ..I put the thinner 001 tapers on the belly side since they have to bend up the riser fade. The thicker 002/inch laminations don't bend up the fades very well for me so I grind a skive joint on each thick end and glue them together, then use them on the back side of riser. I measure the stack height at the center of the lamination stack and include the fiberglass.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Thickness comes into play like Robert says if you are running a lam up a riser ramp- you will want a thinner lam that bends easier than a thicker. As long as you end up with the taper rate and stack height you are after you can use any combo that works for you.

Offline Japes4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Just the type of info I was looking for... Thank you, this helps me out a bunch!
"...there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of a bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©