3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A collector of nothing  (Read 664 times)

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
A collector of nothing
« on: March 04, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
Just curious if I am just a strange b*st*rd or if there are others out there like me. My philosophy, albeit twisted, has always been to minimize the amount of stuff that I own. I profess to be a collector of nothing.

I own exactly one bow (Brackenbury), one flyrod (Winston), one shotgun (Browning), one rifle (ruger), one hunting knife, etc. Of the 30 or so whitetail racks I have been lucky enough to take (not all with trad) I only have 2 in my possession. All the rest have been given away - some to my sons, some to knife makers. I have found well over 100 sheds - all but 2 have been passed on, mostly to kids with an interest.

I read but I don't collect books. I write but I don't save journals. It just seems that the less I possess the happier I am - within reason, of course. Don't get me wrong, alot of stuff has passed through my hands, but I seem to be always whittling it all down to a few special pieces of equipment that I wouldn't give up for anything. When I'm gone there won't be a whole lot to stuff to argue over.

God bless you guys who collect alot of pretty bows. I think it's cool and I love to look at them. Based on the collections of bows I see here, and the collections of flyrods I see on some other sites it appears I am an aberration. Or maybe there are a few out there with the same sickness.

Oh, and by the way - exactly one wife. 30 years in May. ;-)

...Alrighty now, that was cathartic.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A collector of nothing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
I on the other hand am a collector.  They always say watch out for the guy with one bow!  Philosophically I'd like to be like you...but I sure enjoy shooting many bows and shooting an assortment of different fly lines.  Good on you...Doc

Oh, I have exactly one wife of 31 years.  Guess that my start on being a non-collector  ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Mr Vic at the cabin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
(It just seems that the less I possess the happier I am -).............................................. Your not alone on this. The only things i save and collect is the gifts from others. Material world? yeap for many..
"If i could help just ONE person on the good path and see things they did not understand i would feel that i have accomplished something worthy in my life."  Ken Mowery (Adkmountainman)

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
I can relate to what you are saying.  I am in the process of getting rid of my excess bows.  Not getting down to one but maybe one or two shrews with an identical backup.  I just got back from the Texas Sweat 08.  I never saw so many beautiful bows in one place.  There were probably more fine bows there than you will find in most archery shops.  Seems as though most guys had a handful of custom bows.  I brought my beat up, cut in half super shrews with the connexion hinges and barebones carbon arrows with no cresting.  Not especially pretty, but I shoot them like nothing else.   Same way with the pretty custom arrows with cresting and spliced fletching, custom knives/sheaths, arm guards and even gloves.  My interest in traditional archery is for a simple, efficient, uncomplicated, unadulterated hunting tool.   I came away thinking I need to upgrade my arsenal.  I went ahead and ordered my first new bow ever, a super shrew classic in curly birch with the bow bolt.  I will be selling a super shrew deluxe to replace when the new bow is ready.  For some of us less is more than enough.

I also have only one wife (no exwife for me) same one for the past 29 years as of this May.

Offline Blake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Ya know... I like the sound of that.  It may take me a few years to get where you are now but seems like life would be much simpler.  I may take a good look at some of my collections this evening and think about simplifying a bit.  THANKS, Seriously!

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
I am a conpulsive "hunter-gatherer" if I find something when I'm out in the woods I seem to gravitate towards it . The less value it seems to have the longer I hold on to it . I hunt alot and I gather a lot . I have over 250 bottles I've found over the years and my kids will probably put them out for the recycle man when I die . Between that and my other junk it should keep them busy for awhile and keep them from grieving for me . I probably need help but I'm happy . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
I value piece of agate with some geese painted on it that my son gave 34 years ago when he was 6. A recording on my answering machine(will never erase it) of my granddaughter singing me happy birthday when she was 5, and a cup she gave me when she was 2 with a Larson cartoon on each side, now worn almost off.

The only other things I truly I treasure are some extra fine muzzleloaders given to me by a good friend when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

As for bows, I have one cracked and sinew wrapped osage favorite, one back-up osage with a dozen or so superglued cracks on the back and just put the string on a new floor tillered bow for myself today.

Everything else I collected in the past has been given away or is waiting the next St Jude auction. My huge collection of osage staves is staying put for the present.

My only collecting vice at the present is tools. I have one of everything I need to make bows or flintlocks and don't hesitate to drop big bucks on the best I can find. When I get too old to use them I will give them away.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
I collect clothes that keep getting smaller on me.  I think its the water.

Bill

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Bob,

If you want I can bring some fly rods for you to try out and play with a little this week end,if you don't mind bamboo.I seem to have a passion for the production cane rods of the 50's,Heddon in particular...........bet you'd fall in love if you tried one.I just seem to fall right into their nice slow action,and every one's an individual like a nice custom longbow.

Can't say I "collect" as such,since none of my accumalations are nice enough to be considered collections,but longbows,bamboo fly rods,damascus knives,and box calls all seem to gather around my house.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
I have lots of bows, knives, and guns. All of them are middle of the road production items. No custom bows no high doller simi custom guns no expensive knives but I have way to many of all of them ........YOU MIGHT SAY I COLLECT CRAP.....   :bigsmyl:
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Not a collector you say? You've amassed a pretty good collection of Adirondack high peaks.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
my wife say's I have to much junk. I think it is all priceless.

doug77

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
For most of my life I tended to collect stuff.  Not for the sake of just having, but when an opportunity presented itself I took it.  So now I have a few firearms, a few bows, a few knives, quivers, calls, hats, lights etc.  A few of my "things" are genuine collectors items, but none are things I can't live without.  I already broke the cardinal rule and sold the first bow made for me 12 years ago.  A few other things I lament passing on.  I lost my attachment to the material things of this world a few years back in a journey that began with the death of my baby brother and culminated in the guy I am now (which is still changing for the better).  

I'm not where you are yet, but I have learned the joy from giving something away is greater than the joy of keeping it.  This last year I gave more than ever before and in return I received some things more priceless than any possession.

I keep my children's gifts.  When I go I will leave them with a legacy and a whole bunch of letters and writings that I've kept, most of which only they would truly understand.  I hope they will learn from them and me and not wait half a lifetime to begin really living.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
You are not alone.  We are all "strange b" in our own way.  That's what makes us unique and who we are.  "Normal" is a setting on your dryer.
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
adirondack, perhaps you are one of the few that has figured it out. You just can't take any of this stuff with ya. Aint gonna happen! However you can take the blessing with you that is received from giving something away. I respect a man who can part with his possessions.

I don't suppose i collect much of anything of monetary value. However i do like the "crap" that we acquire along our journey here that provokes memories. Pictures in particular.

I can't site the scripture, but there is a verse in the bible where that the Lord tells us to store up our treasure in heaven, not here on earth. Maybe someone can help me out and come up with the book and verse on that one.

kyle

Offline Mrs Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Kyle,
That would be the book of Matthew 6:19-20.

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Amen brother.  And let me add the next verse:
For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be.
"Brown dogs make the best BOWCHERY dogs"

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Mike, I have been an admirer of bamboo for a long time. I have a feeling that if I could ever bring myself to "collect" bamboo rods would be high on the list. By the way, if the weather stays cold, we can swing wooly buggers through the deep pools and probably pick up a few 'bows.

Steve, You got me there. That collection of memories is one thing I will treasure for the rest of my life.

Kyle, Frankly, there's very little that I've figured out over the years but I have found that there's more wisdom in "the Book" than I'll ever be able to grasp.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
One of my favorite passages and one of many that inspire me.  Granted I'm no philanthropist but it's surprising what seemingly insignificant item is a treasure to someone else.  I have a bunch of insignificant  :)  Besides, it bothers me to have stuff laying around that I never use.

I know people who have an accumulation of things bought on a whim or an occasion and they get rid of nothing.  Not that it's wrong to have stuff but it's irritating to see nice things rot and waste away because folks are too miserly to part with them.  But then that's not true collecting I guess.  As for charity and giving this site is the best I've ever seen and likely ever will see.    :thumbsup:
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
I used to be a collector and I used to only hunt whitetails locally.

I collect a lot less now and I travel to different states to hunt different things.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
I pick up things no one else wants that I know how to use or what they are for. Tools and materials mostly. Then I AM stuck with them, because no matter how long I keep them, it's still true that no one else wants them or is in a position to take them.

I make my self bows and have given away dozens, but still have a half dozen shooters. I have three table saws I have put back in working order--one went through a fire, one was in pieces and had parts missing and one had sat unused for 30 years.

I have a 2 band saws, a shaper and a 6" planer that all came from the dump or discard pile. I fixed them and use them, but the garage is full.

I do keep thinning out, but it's a really slow process.

Up side is that I always have the tool for the job and usually have the material I need. Even salvage lumber and wood scraps from the dump.

Do have the only wife I ever had and it will be 32 years the end of this month. No one will ever need her like I do, so I'm not giving her away.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©