3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunter Orange  (Read 474 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunter Orange
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Do Y'all take it Off Before Your Picture gets snapped? Does the "Silent (Yeah,Right)Majority" Wear Orange when Turkey Hunting??
   I have seen a  "BIG CROWD"  that was Primarily TradGang Folks and They just About  ALL  wear an Orange Hat, Baseball Cap to Watch Cap.
   I dont want to be shot  :scared:   by an Over-zellis Turkey Hunter  :scared:  , as I sit in My Blind Making Turkey Noises, ya know??!!  :saywhat:  
     Just wondering if y'all followed suit.  :thumbsup:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunter Orange
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Not required in NY, and don't use it for turkey.  Not for deer either, unless it is gun season.  Busting brush for bunnies is a different story though.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Take the orange with you for traveling too and from but hide it well when hunting.  Turkeys see color very well. When you kill a turkey, wrap the vest around it when you carry it out of the woods.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Not for turkeys.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
By law in MI we don't have to wear hunter orange for turkey hunting..it is a good idea to have something orange on while transporting a dead bird out of the woods.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
I wear a reverseable hat when I walk in or out when we are forced to share the woods with the inline muzzleloaders, they are mostly newbies and mostly blind, for turkey hunters the range is closer but I whistle when I walk faster.  I have had only one dangerous incident with a turkey gun hunter and it was intentional on his part.  He is sorry to this day and hunts only with longbows now.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
This will be the first year for PA turkey hunters, that the flo orange is NOT required. I will take some for carrying out the bird .
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
If it is required, I wear it.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
If you think about, the flash of orange could be mistaken for a Gobbler's wattle, and in Florida, they hunt with High-power rifles.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Good point, what about fluorescent chartreuse to flag a turkey for transport?

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
I use a reverseable hat or stockingcap. Hap

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
I know a couple of guys who have been shot while set up and calling. Fortunately, they didn't suffer long term injuries but, many turkey hunters have been killed.

It's a good idea to sit/stand with your back to a LARGE tree to reduce the chance of getting shot from behind where you can't see.

I've also seen guys tie an orange vest around a tree trunk a few yards from where they're set up. Turkeys do see color well but just like all game, it's movement that spooks them. The vest may be visable but if it's not moving it won't hold their attention for long. Any other hunters around will see the orange and we all know what hunter orange means when we see it anywhere in the woods.

Hunt safe

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
I will still wear my orange hat while moving this spring. I carry my decoys with a big band of flo orange material wrapped all over them. When set up and calling, no orange is out, but I am ready to whip out some orange should I spot another person.

Offline 6X5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 04:28:00 AM »
I spent over 2 very exciting years of my life trying to be invisible so as to avoid being killed. I will never wear anything that lets a hunter get a free shot at me. If they can't see me they cant kill me. I  know one elk hunter that was  wearing a blaze orange cap and some damn fool shot the knife out of his hand while he was field dressing an elk. Fool claimed he thought it was a radio collared elk with a flo collar. Don't give a fool a chance!!! Be invisible and prepared to shoot back to kill.
Robert Johns

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Thank All of You for the Valuable Info, and the "Turkey Carrier Idea" is a Great Idea!!   :thumbsup:  Thanks Mike!! I Intend to "Arrive Alive" to my Truck!!  :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
I talked to a fellow last night that had a plinker with a 22 pistol, take a shot at his bow while it was hanging in a tree.  The pink and blue vanes caught his attention, so he shot at it.  He missed bow and hunter luckily.  Hunter safety courses don't always do the job, I guess.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
IMO It still comes down to :

POSITIVLY IDENTIFING YOUR TARGET   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
What did the Hunter that Was Shot At  DO  to the Guy with the Plinker??  :mad:  
 He Would Walk Mighty Funny with that Plinker Up His ..... Stinker!!  :scared:    :scared:

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
I wear orange when out with my bird dogs; and hunting with other hunters; it is helpful then. But orange will not keep a person from shooting: when they should not shoot.
 When I was a deputy there was a guy that climbed up to the top of an oak tree to see where the deer were moving. He got shot; the person that shot him thought he was a deer. In the top of an oak tree.
 Orange is not a gaurantee you won't be shot; and with the percentage of men that are color blind; having any block of color out there is dangerous- orange may look like a turkey head to some.
 I prefer just being as camoed up as I can; and yes- I will - and have: returned fire before.
 Nothing impresses the fool that shoots at unknown objects hoping it will be a game animal; like a bullet or an arrow whizzing by their ear.
 And Shakes - a lot of people think motorcylces don't belong on the road; and I have seen people kill people; and say " well they shouldn't have been riding a motorcyle anyway!!".
 It can be the same for turkey hunters; there are some that just figure your taking a chance; and deserve what ever comes to you.
 remember that......
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »
Sad, Sad Words to Live By. There is a  LOT  of  Truth In Your Words  Brian.  :scared:    :scared:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©