Author Topic: Thunderbird / fullerplast  (Read 664 times)

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
Thunderbird / fullerplast
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:18:00 AM »
Hi, I was just wondering if anybody out there knows of a European supplier of either fullerplast or thunderbird finishes? I haven't been able to find one and have been told that it's not possible to send small amount to the UK I would need to order a pallet full....= lots of money!
Really i'm just looking for a high build, very durable finish. I've been using Rustins Plastic Coat    so far but i've read about the Fullerplast and Thunderbird and they seem to be just what i'm after.
Thanks

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunderbird / fullerplast
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Suggest you speak with Border Bows.  If they are not using the items, whatever else they use must be fine.
Regards, Kevin

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Look for some catalyzed varnish over there.Thats what fullerplast is.I have used other catalyzed varnish with the same results.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
Mike right now we do not have a dealer for Thunderbird overseas, Sorry. That is one of our plans for it though for next year. Also shipping an individual order is very expensive more that twice the amount of the product just in shipping costs since it can't legally go on a plane. We have been talking with both DHL and FedEx trying to figure a way to lower the cost but that does not seem to be happening.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
The one component polyurethane does this also have restrictions when it comes to air freight ? Not so easy to find a good bow finish over here. Thanks. Bue--.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:41:00 AM »
Yes Poly can not go air freight as well.

Here is a question for all of you in the European countries who is the largest Traditional Archery supplier ?  We are going to start looking into a dealer for Thunderbird Epoxy. See if we can make the freight cost more reasonable if we ship a large amount.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:50:00 AM »
surely you must have some paint stores in England that sell commercial painting products to contractors? a paint store that caters to commercial painting contractors should have products like precatalyzed lacquer, catalyzed varnish and polyamide epoxy, which is what I've come to prefer for finishing wooden bows.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
David, here are a couple: I think Quicks in England is the largest supplier in Europe, they are a combined traditional and more modern supplier. They have been around for many years and are a well renowned company.  www.quicksarchery.co.uk
In my country Norway there is an upcoming firm selling traditional archery supplies named Tradbow.  www.tradbow.no
I have over the years bought goods from both of them and they always deliver. Bue--.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 01:55:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
Bowman - Yes Quicks or Merlin are probably the biggest stores in England and Merlin have a shop about 5 miles from my house....I hope you can get a stockist set up as I personally know quite a few people who would be buying it straight away!
J.F.Miller - yes we have a large supplier of many different finishes nearby but if you don't know exactly what make up something is then how can they help. I told them what I wanted the finish for and as they had never had anyone ask for a suitable finish for bows they wouldn't give me a straight answer - basically because they couldn't guarantee what they could supply me with wasn't going to crack over time due to the bending of the limbs. If I knew exactly what the make up of Fullerplast/Thunderbird was it might be a different story.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 01:57:00 AM »
I've been doing a bit of research and it seems like Morrells do a pre-catalized lacquer that might be suitable?
 http://morrells.co.uk/pre-catalyst-lacquers-fastmatch-colours/
What do you guys think of giving this stuff a try?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
Does any of your paint supply stores over there carry Conversion Varnish? That's all Thunderbird is!

Mike, I'd say that will work.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
Get a high solids automotive finish. It will work real well for you. You can also get it with flatener or add it yourself. Very durable and flexible.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
http://www.biltema.no/no/Bat/Kjemikalier/Maling-og-lakk/2-komponent-polyuretanlakk-30553/
In  Europe we can find good finishes that are suitable for bows, like this two component polyurethane. It is a tough finish that stays flexible after curing, one component polyurethanes can also be found. The downside of these are that when spraying the fumes are explosive and harmful, so a good ventilated spraybooth is necessary. That is why we show so much interest in the Thunderbird finish which is also usable on greasy woods like Cocobolo and such. Bue--.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 01:30:00 AM »

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 06:13:00 AM »
We maybe making progress on shipping. Talking DHL again today
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 07:15:00 AM »
David,
That would be great if you could ship T-bird over seas. Good luck
T
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Does any of your paint supply stores over there carry Conversion Varnish? That's all Thunderbird is!

Mike, I'd say that will work.
The 2 part  Thunderbird epoxy that they are interested in is not a conversion varnish
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
Krystal is a conversion varnish that most bowyers are getting away from. It sprays real nice but is not very durable over the long haul.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
I would not use that water based stuff.I wouldnt want the chance of any water putting moisture into my wood.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 01:47:00 AM »
Bow man - keep me posted please! I'll be your first customer!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©