3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aerial targets  (Read 577 times)

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
Aerial targets
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Can anyone give me a good source for foam aerial targets?
what I am talking about is those 12" foam disks that can be launched or thrown and shot at with flu flu arrows.  I'd like to try to talk my club into purchasing some.
Even better would be a source for the 12" diameter foam that they are made of.

Offline CBergeman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aerial targets
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Brad,
I buy mine from The Footed Shaft.

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
You can also make your own from just about any styrofoam. Just shape it like a disk and paint a spot on it.  I did buy a couple from the Nocking Point at last years ojam....Terry

Offline The Talon3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
3 rivers has them

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
You have not had fun till you try wingshooters thrower!! The review I did on it is in my trad review section at  www.peteward.com

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
Buy the swimming pool kick boards.  They are a high density foam and make a good target.

Dennis

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Thanks guys,
Dennis I'll check into the kick board thing.
I just thought that a person should be able to buy a longer piece of 12" diameter stock and cut our own.

Brad

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
The old ethafoam animal targets make good discs. The center out of shot up Mackenzie deer targets also work
" without humor, nothing would seem funny."

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I can't stomach the cost of those retail areial targets.  I use plastic pop bottles or 1/2 gallon milk jugs .... free, but highly destrucible. I'm going to try filling them with expandable spray foam and see how that works.

I did some dumpster diving at work once and got 3 nice disks worth of that layerd packing foam....just like the foam target boards.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gordy:
I can't stomach the cost of those retail areial targets.  I use plastic pop bottles or 1/2 gallon milk jugs .... free, but highly destrucible. I'm going to try filling them with expandable spray foam and see how that works.

I did some dumpster diving at work once and got 3 nice disks worth of that layerd packing foam....just like the foam target boards.
Also try laundry detergent bottles. I put a few bolts in them and put some expandable insulation in them.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
Click on "Flying Disk" I made the disk out of coffee can  and margarine tub lids, two of them wired together. They didn't make foam disk back then so we had to make due.   :D  

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=000005
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Just had another idea.  How about those foam "floaty tubes" the kids use in the pools ?  They are about 8 foot long..... that would make some good targets if you weighted on end. (?)
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Thanks Ron

We made a bunch out of cardboard circles duct taped together and they work but they will eventually fall apart and they are a bit heavy. They don't give you that split second of float at the top of the arch and if we are lucky enough to hit one they fall pretty hard on the arrow. Bucket lids would work much better.

Gordy

I have done that too, I bent them in a circle and glued the ends together.  We toss them up and try to shoot through the whole.  It works ok so long as the wind isn't blowing. It would be nice to be able to use a launcher.  

If I could just find one of those "floaty tubes" that is about a foot in diameter, I could slice nice disks out of it.
I was just hoping that someone out there had found a supply or alternative.

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
check out the bottle thrower in FAFFY. (Flingin Arrows For Fifty Years.) The simple tosser was designed and used by Rob Davis to practice for pheasant hunting.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
We use spray adhesive and laminate three or four sheets of cardboard.  Cut out the sizes you want with a saw. They're quite durable and can be rolled across the ground for moving shots too.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
Locally I can get a 4'x9'x2" sheet of layered closed cell foam for 10 bucks, which makes many discs for almost a quarter each.

True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Voodoofire:
Tell us about your thrower in the pic.Looks like a modified clay target thrower.
 Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
It is!, just took off the legs, turned it on it's side and welded it to a piece of channel, it works great and was cheap to build, throws them 40-50ft.high, and about 50yds, also adjustable to anything in between,just make sure you make it tall enough so that you cannot put your head over the throwing arm....can't be too safe!
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Thanks, what keeps the thicker targets in the throwing arm? With clay targets the rim fits in the throwing arm channel to keep them in place. I also was thinking of checking with the local plastics suppliers about foam for the targets.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©