Author Topic: Gaps at the fade  (Read 324 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
Gaps at the fade
« on: December 03, 2014, 12:34:00 AM »
Okay, first off, this is a production bow. I received one that had some pretty bad glue 'voids' at one of the fades as well as some scratches in the finish. I contacted the supplier, and it was warrantied for me (to much appreciation). I'm going to go out on a limb and say since the dealer was reputable and the bow was a warranty, they checked this one over before sending it out, so it's probably a non-issue.

I've received my warranty, and did notice yet another very small glue void further up on one of the fades. It's about 3" from the end of the fade where the actual fade is about 1/4" thick. I can just barely poke the corner of some paper in there (maybe 1/16"), and it's maybe 1/8" long. I'm assuming most would say to fill with CA glue.

It's not like there's an actual gap there, just a small space in the glue line.

My question is, are these structural? And are they normal? From what I'm seeing it almost seems common?

It's a recurve if that matters.

Thanks.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gaps at the fade
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:55:00 AM »
It won't be bending there so structurally it won't be a problem. Cosmetically well that's upto you. It certainly shouldn't be 'normal'.
Who is the maker?

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:51:00 AM »
I had a longbow that had so many cosmetic problems I asked for my money back right iut of the box.
The bowyer refused and said he would make another.
I said not a chance. I felt that no one would ship such a thing. One limb was dished for several inches from the fade on down the limb.
If this is said bowyer from Texas be prepared for verbal abuse.

If I make you a bow in a trade you know Im just a hobby maker. When you pay $630 a copy you expect a level of quality in build and finish.

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
The bow is a Martin Hunter. Cosmetically, it's not really noticeable, I just checked along the riser extra close since I had issues with the last one.

Think I'll just shoot it and be happy since it sounds like it's not an issue. I've received far worse before.

Here's a picture:

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
Just went out and shot it. All seemed to be fine.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:27:00 AM »
Now that i've seen it I would run some glue in there. Even if just from the point of stopping moisture getting in there.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
IMO that is NOT a cosmetic area of the bow and I would return it again until I got one WITHOUT a gap in the fade --its a PITA yes--but so is a broken bow 7 monthes down the road [long enough to question your use and care of the bow]
Martin is a company in transition and it seems like they are having issues--they need to know the glue is missing--they need to make it right--and I would think that they would rather hear about warranty work than from an injury lawyer
they have great designs-proven designs--"production bow" is not a valid reason for poor workmanship or getting what you pay for!!
-----good luck!
Mike

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
I contacted the dealer once again to see what they'll say about it. I'm frustrated because I have to cover shipping to return the bow, and since I've had them set the bow up, once again they'll be out the products they put on (clicker, grip, arrow rest, etc.)

I like the bow, but my Savannah doesn't have this problem...

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
The dealer told me it's not structural and if it breaks at some point, it would be covered under warranty.

So I did superglue it, and am happy. Once glued, it blended with the glue line perfectly. You could see a bit of the spot that I glued on the finish, so I buffed with some 800 grit paper, and then found some old tru oil in the closet and put that over it. Then I took a paper towel and blotted the spot so it looked like the finish was shot rather than wiped.

End result was a (so far) seamless blend. You'd never ever be able to tell.

Unless you're me    :p .

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
Not likely a problem, but yes it does bend there a little. Most that have been doing this any amount of time (bowyers not necessarily manufacturers) fill the grain when finishing.That would have likely filled this too and you would have never known. If it is deeper and it just never filled, it could be a problem but I would think not. Hard to say from a picture though.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©